• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Middlesex Village Trading - Any good?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not at all! I bought a 1st Land Pattern "Transitional" Bess with bayonet from Loyalist Arms last year, and the service and quality are excellent for an "Indian" firelock. Loyalist Arms ships the product in two pieces to get around those dumb importation laws...the stock and barrel come in one package, and the firelock in another, and you put them together (which you have to do anyway every time you clean the piece). Shipping was easy, and there were no issues. Took about five days from the time my Bess left Halifax until it arrived at my home in Pennsylvania.

Loyalist Arms owner Blair Higgins is a really good guy, and stands behind his products. He doesn't proof the muskets though since the laws vary so much from country to country, but provides instructions for doing so. It's optional, but here is a video showing the "tire" method"

Barrel proofing a replica of an early 1700 Sea Musket from Loyalist Arms.

Be advised that Loyalist Arms has a big backlog on orders, and it could take 6 to 8 months to receive your musket after ordering. But it's worth the wait in my opinion.
Any quality difference between them and say...pedersoli? I'm really lookin at a Brown Bess.

Good Luck. One of the worst setups for a site.
I'm not sure about Canadian Laws, but perhaps it is the way it is so as they're not "Selling arms on the Internet". Since you have to reach other to them, it's not a web transaction.

Just a theory.

You may not know that Loyalists Arms has a Expert gunsmith in Arkansas that really knows thes guns and specializes in muzzleloaders.

The Muzzleloader Shop, Ltd.

612 Cedarvale Road
Berryville, AR 72616-4100
telephone: (870) 929-6257
Dykes Reber & Sean McCanless

Dykes Reber is owner and gunsmith that loves flint guns, builds completion cap guns and stocks and services Loyalists products. His prices are very reasonable . Here’s one that should be on your go to list of experts like Bobby Hoyt!!

I always dealt with military heritage in Ontario having it sent here to Georgia was no problem I don't care for the finish on the stock but that's an easy fix for me and of the 4 or 5 I have they all spark well and look beautiful

I always dealt with military heritage in Ontario having it sent here to Georgia was no problem I don't care for the finish on the stock but that's an easy fix for me and of the 4 or 5 I have they all spark well and look beautiful
Never having assembled a kit, that's new territory for me.

Never having assembled a kit, that's new territory for me.
Not a kit but I treated that way because you have to do some work on the springs and stock in order to get it the way you want plenty of videos on YouTube

Trying to get them to reply to any emails has proven fruitless and a waste of time. I’ve seen many items over the years that I’ve wanted to purchase or had questions about…sent emails, left Phone Messages…Zero, Zilche, Nada.

That pretty much means, that if I have an issue or a problem…there will be NO Customer Support.

I’ll spend my money else where…

In their fine print…I strongly advise you read it…It states that if an Item is Listed as AVAILABLE, that does Not Mean it is in stock and ready to be shipped. What?

I asked for further clarification on that…no reply. In fact I’ve never had any replies to any communications that I’ve left.

Based on all my attempts at reaching anybody…I can only assume that no person exists or is employed by them and that they do not in fact have any products available at all.
From what I saw from the one time I walked into the place (Middlesex Trading) it is at a guys house in his basement and there was a lot of “stuff” laying around and he was an older gentleman ,a nice guy but a one man operation from what I can tell. That was about 5 years ago.

My 1733 French pistol from military heritage after finishing with boiled linseed oil

Attachments

• 0130220500.jpg
    0130220500.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 0
I think my question has been sufficiently answered.

Now the next question is what makes a Pedersoli Brown Bess worth double the price of one from Loyalist Arms?
The Italian wage scale versus the Indian wage scale and the European proof requirements raises the cost of the Pedersoli product.

Note: Indian manufactured firearms imported into Europe to be shot have to pass the same proof houses that all other firearms must pass. The Indian manufactured firearms do pass CIP proof testing.

Note 2: The "proof" firing suggested is a test firing with a bit more powerful load. Such a test does not really meet the requirements of a proof test as examination of metal fracture or bulging is cursory and not certifiable definitive proof. Such a test firing is a verification that the firearm was assembled well enough to withstand at least one shot. American made firearms are not required to undergo proof testing unless they are being sold in a country that requires CIP proof testing.

Made in India? Seriously. India is known for scams and importing monkeys and doctors, and they are interchangeable. Stay away from this shithole and anything imported from there.
Have you ever owned one? I have from Loyalist and it is a very good flintlock pistol. Now the Italian Poodersoli I owned was manure. Can you say every US manufacturer produces quality firearms - no. Are some Indian firearms manure - yes. Don't label Indian, Italian, US or Spanish with a broad paint brush. If you have experience with a crappy Indian Arm give specifics. The specifics from my poodersoli was a crappy lock that would not hold in full or half cock, poor quality wood and fit and finnish. The metal used in the barrel was extremely soft and super prone to rust on the outside. On the plus side it was extremely accurate. Now what are the specifics on an Indian arm you have owned?

I have tried several of the India Flintlock’s from Middlesex. All of them had moderate to poor fit and finish. All of them had poor unreliable locks. I have used and owned several of the Italian flintlocks and several of the American domestic ones as well. They are consistently of a higher better a quality. If you intend to shoot it, I I would invest in a better product.

I have tried several of the India Flintlock’s from Middlesex. All of them had moderate to poor fit and finish. All of them had poor unreliable locks. I have used and owned several of the Italian flintlocks and several of the American domestic ones as well. They are consistently of a higher better a quality. If you intend to shoot it, I I would invest in a better product.
My intent is to get a reliable shooter. Pedersoli is starting to look like a better and better option.

My intent is to get a reliable shooter. Pedersoli is starting to look like a better and better option.
Now you're getting the problem.

There are those that will cheerlead for the Indian guns but side by side, the reason for the price difference is obvious

Now you're getting the problem.

There are those that will cheerlead for the Indian guns but side by side, the reason for the price difference is obvious
I have one other Pedersoli flintlock (Harpers Ferry pistol) and it's build like the proverbial brick shithouse. The only problem I've had with it is purely my fault (using pyrodex out of ignorance). Just wish the BB's weren't $1,500. I'd trade some gold for one without giving it much thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back