• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Middlesex blunderbuss - brass barrel, or steel?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry, PT = pillow ticking. Track sells it. I buy it by the yard, cut it as needed for the specific weapon, and then run the strips through a mix of beeswax and olive oil melted on an old double broiler. I then hand-preass the ball and oversized patch into the bell of the muzzle until it pinches all around. Seems to be working great so far.

does anybody know where the myth came from that the Pilgrims carried BB's?

I've been wondering about that myself. I suspect the idea came from the post Civil War era development of the modern Thanksgiving holiday. I'll wager some illustrations of pilgrims showed them with blunderbuss, because by the late 19th century they would have been remembered as an archaic firearm carried in the early part of the century. It would be an interesting study in pre-internet memes to track it down.

Cosmoline said:
Sorry, PT = pillow ticking. Track sells it. I buy it by the yard, cut it as needed for the specific weapon, and then run the strips through a mix of beeswax and olive oil melted on an old double broiler. I then hand-preass the ball and oversized patch into the bell of the muzzle until it pinches all around. Seems to be working great so far.
OK. I already have some; I just haven't used it in a while, as it's really too thick to use with my NWTG (.618 bore and .600 ball). Probably work OK in my howdah, though (.629 bore). Been using unbleached muslin and Bore Butter in my NWTG. I'm thinking I'll probably just use newspaper wadding and buckshot in my BB (I can get old newspapers for free from a friend of mine who subscribes). Not looking for hunting-level patterns, just cheap and fun blasting.

Does anybody know where the myth came from that the Pilgrims carried BB's?

The flared muzzle looks better (or is easier to cast in porcelin & less apt to break) on a Hummel figurine than a straight barrel. I would bet the origin of the myth is as simple as something like that. That or Walt Disney. ;-)

Like our visualization of a proper "pirate" is based on a N.C. Wyeth print from the 1930's.

The BB and howdah pistol are supposed to ship today. MVTCo is running about a week between an order being placed and being shipped (backlog due to the upcoming holidays). I should have them some time this coming week.

Found out one nice thing: unlike the pistol shown on their website, the current Middlesex howdahs have keyed barrels (like a Pedersoli) rather than being held in with a screw. More authentic and easier to remove the barrels for cleaning besides.

Looks like the 21st will be the arrival date (theme music from "Jeopardy" begins playing in the background...)

Rich
Give us an update on the B.B. and Howdha Fit Finish Function, is the trigger pull really heavy. Have you had a chance to fire them. Inquiring minds want to know. :hatsoff:

Latest posts

Back