• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Michigan Small Game Hunting in State Forests?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am hoping to do a couple of days of squirrel hunting this year. Looks like the so called “State Game Areas do not permit squirrel hunting. How about the state forests? The National forests seem to permit this.

Thanks in advance!

I just went through the complete Michigan hunting regs. I didn’t find anywhere it said you couldn’t hunt state game lands. My daughter lives in Michigan. I hunt squirrels on their property but have hunted them on state land before. Where did you see this?

I just went through the complete Michigan hunting regs. I didn’t find anywhere it said you couldn’t hunt state game lands. My daughter lives in Michigan. I hunt squirrels on their property but have hunted them on state land before. Where did you see this?
I can’t find where I read that. It was some publication about the game areas that, in my memory, stated that they were not for small game hunting. If they are I will be happy!

Some of the State Game areas are adjacent to wildlife refuges. There is no hunting allowed at all in a refuge and some have entry restrictions based on the time of year. I wonder if what the OP saw prohibiting hunting was regarding a refuge, and not a State Game area.

Where are you located at in Michigan? Give me a general area and I can point you in the right direction with just a few mins on OnX. Feel free to DM me if you don't want your location public.

Just in the county there's the Lost Nation State Game Area, Adams Twp State Game Area, Somerset State Game Area, and the Clarence F. Hobert Memorial Nature Sanctuary. All of the game area's allow small game hunting, the Nature Sanctuary maybe not.

I have squirrel hunted the Waterloo State Game area for years. Have even been checked out by CO's. No problem. You cannot hunt in most State Parks, but game areas are open to small game hunting.

Latest posts

Back