• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Michaux state forest deer hunters

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Question for you Pa. deer hunters, anyone hunt the Michaux (hope I spelled that correctly) state forest north of Waynesboro Pa. I live not far from there and was interested in hunting the area during the late muzzle loading season. Not looking for your sweet spot just looking for information perhaps for a future hunt.

You will never run out of room to hunt in Michaux! I primarily stay at the northern / eastern end near Pine Grove Furnace State Park. I don't know anything about the area south of Route 30. If you check Google Earth and can find Ridge Road (It parallels rt 233) you can certainly find plenty of area to explore if you aren't afraid to hike and get off the road. Its a beautiful forest!

Thanks for the reply, I have hiked the AT in the area off route 30 just north of Waynesboro Pa. never hunted in Pa. but am seriously considering it especially for the late muzzle loader season, you are correct with the natural beauty of the area. Will spend some time in this area soon to see if I can find a spot further off the beaten path.

I occasionally hunt by the camp on old forge rd. At times you will see a few there. Since the clear cut in that part it doesn't seem to hold deer. I know a few that hunt there every season and hasn't shot at anything in years.

The Ruffed Grouse Society helps the state forester on PA State Game Lands in the vicinity of Hawk Mountain.
A mature forest is a virtual desert. Except on the edges and in clearings it does not support any wildlife, let alone game. When the Game Commission timbers an area of state game lands we deer fence areas and plant seedlings in them. Once young trees are well established the fences come down. In the absence of mature forest canopy, other food and cover plants have sprouted as well. Until these areas mature they are thick with cover, food, and game.
Logging and attention to providing conditions conducive to cover and food replace things which no longer happen, like unsuppressed forest fires.

A buddy of mine went turkey hunting there this past season. Don't know which part of Michaux he was in but he said it was loaded with birds.

Back