• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

WANTED Michael Lea's Ramrod Tapering Device

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For those who might want to try something simple to shape ramrods , check this process out. Needed......Variable speed electric drill motor. Blank ramrod stock to taper to fit. 1/4 sheet of heavy weight 40 grit sand paper. Process.....Cut dowel about 2" longer than needed and chuck it into drill motor just enough so chuck bites into wood. If right handed , hold coarse sand paper in left hand ,lightly grip the sandpaper onto the dowel. Run the drill w/ the right hand while pulling the dowel back and forth through the sand paper. Check the taper frequently as lots of wood comes off quickly. Can't resist cheap , easy ,and fast. ...............Luck to ya.........oldwood

Mike Lea's source for making the castings for this tool went out of business. He has been trying to find a new source. Mike makes them all himself once he gets the castings back. I have one that I use to make arrowshafts. Easy to use.

F30F5096-5199-4661-94E7-357D578C3397.jpeg

Maybe send him a pm here..👍

View attachment 190275

Maybe send him a pm here..👍
Maybe @Mike Lea isn't on here anymore. The @ symbol in front of his name doesn't seem to create the link that would indicate he is still an active forum member.
Or at least his name didn't autofill like most members. If he is still here he should get an alert that je was mentioned here and maybe will respond again.

I talked to Mike at the Canters Cave show few weeks ago , he still can't make any taper tolls as he lost his foundry to make some of the parts . Hr said to just keep checking back with him ....

Or, just make your own ... as the patent's expired!

See the 'pin sticking out of the tool whilst in use on a lathe? That follows a guide bar affixed to the lathe to give the desited taper. I just used a handheld drill and the tool free hand. Not shown are the guide blocks sold with the tool that prevent you from going deeper or smaller I should say, than a pre-set diameter as set by the guide block.

Tool1.jpg

Tool2.jpg

Attachments

• Patent 5503200, Ramrod Tapering Tool.pdf
    727.4 KB · Views: 0
Or, just make your own ... as the patent's expired!

See the 'pin sticking out of the tool whilst in use on a lathe? That follows a guide bar affixed to the lathe to give the desited taper. I just used a handheld drill and the tool free hand. Not shown are the guide blocks sold with the tool that prevent you from going deeper or smaller I should say, than a pre-set diameter as set by the guide block.

View attachment 222010

View attachment 222011
Wow !! Nice !!!!

For those who might want to try something simple to shape ramrods , check this process out. Needed......Variable speed electric drill motor. Blank ramrod stock to taper to fit. 1/4 sheet of heavy weight 40 grit sand paper. Process.....Cut dowel about 2" longer than needed and chuck it into drill motor just enough so chuck bites into wood. If right handed , hold coarse sand paper in left hand ,lightly grip the sandpaper onto the dowel. Run the drill w/ the right hand while pulling the dowel back and forth through the sand paper. Check the taper frequently as lots of wood comes off quickly. Can't resist cheap , easy ,and fast. ...............Luck to ya.........oldwood
Works well!

Back