• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Metal working files?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What are some good options for metal working files? I have a bahco 8 inch bastard file, but it still seems to be a little too fine cut for removing a lot of metal.

I have been using Nicholson files for many years. Now that I'm retired I bought a new Nicholson 10" bastard to touch up the splitting wedges for firewood. A good trick is to put sidewalk chalk on the file and it will not load up with metal filings.

Wow, if a bastard cut it too fine... ? The coarser cut is "coarse". American pattern files go: coarse, bastard, 2nd cut and smooth (coarsest to finest). The longer the file. the coarser the cut. So a 10" file will be more aggressive than a 6" file irrespective of the grade. Not all file suppliers offer the coarse grade anymore.

I agree that Nicholson are very nice files. I would suggest a mill file for the type (or style) of file you probably want.

I usually gind off one edge of my mill files to make a "safe edge". I use a belt sander to do this. A safe edge file allows you to file at the juncture of two surfaces (at 90 degrees of each other) without filing the area that the safe edge touches.

I have had good luck with Simonds files, Nicholsons are good but they sure aren’t the Nicholsons of old.
For detail work you will need jewelers files, Grobet files work well and aren’t too pricey.
Files will be a substantial tool investment, spend wisely.

Another thing on files- keep your files separate for specific uses. If you have files for brass, keep them for brass only, same same for steel.
Keep a stick of blackboard chalk handy, load up your file with chalk and it won’t clog up so easily.
Learn to use a file card and is it frequently.
Always lift you file clear of your work at the end of the stroke, never draw your file backwards, you just dull it.
Don’t just toss your files into a drawer, you shorten their life exponentially.
Get a section of 4x4 and drill rows of holes, stand your files up by the tangs- it protects your files and you will be more efficient in your work.

Get out your Google Fu and search for a couple of US Navy manuals, Machinery Repair and Hand Tools respectively.
A wealth of information.

Last edited:
Yeah, I saw that pro tip in a tutorial right after making that mistake haha. Gotta learn somehow.
Absolutely and this is a good place to learn. It seems that the lessons we learn best are those that hurt a bit.

I taught jewelry making and metalsmithing for many years. In my observations filing is one of the most difficult skills for students to get good at. However they are wonderful tools and once you gain some mastery over them they will be invaluable in your work.

Some of my favorite files are crossing files. If you get into any stock or handgun grip making, a crossing file is invaluable when working pistol grip type curves. I always told my students that you need to push forward and sideways when filing curved surfaces. I think that is the area that they found so difficult to comprehend. Maybe it was partially my inability to get it across...But I think I was a very good teacher (pats himself on the back).

Have fun, make mistakes and learn from those mistakes. I always told my classes the following quote (not original to me), "The difference between a good craftsman and a bad craftsman is a good craftsman knows how to fix his mistakes." Because we all make them!

I actually was confused about curved surfaces, so that is (preemptively) good to know.

The project I am preparing for is a simple snapping matchlock lock (no gun at this point), so filing is very important, but it looks like there is a little more room for error.

Files are my favorite tool to shop for at antique shops. Around here they’re still dirt cheap and if you dig long enough you can find good, old, USA made Nicholsons and others. Build a good selection of fine/medium/coarse, single cut/double cut, flat and half round. And there will always be a need for a jewelers set too.

Files are my favorite tool to shop for at antique shops. Around here they’re still dirt cheap and if you dig long enough you can find good, old, USA made Nicholsons and others. Build a good selection of fine/medium/coarse, single cut/double cut, flat and half round. And there will always be a need for a jewelers set too.
One of the videos I looked at was basically “all these amazing files used to be made in America, but they aren’t anymore, so hope you get lucky antiquing”.

Good brand for a dovetail file (two safe edges)? I have a cheap one from a Lowes set, but need better quality.

One of the videos I looked at was basically “all these amazing files used to be made in America, but they aren’t anymore, so hope you get lucky antiquing”.
So far I have been! Sometimes you find them, sometimes you don’t. And some are just worn out or too rusty. Just have to keep an eye out for them.

I'll second the jeweler's files. I had a gunsmithing shop and used the smaller files more than any other. Get a decent set a couple of cheap sets. One for steel, one for brass and another for wood. A rifler set is also handy to have around also and can be had on the cheap.

Latest posts

Back