• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Metal ramrod?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bo T

40 Cal.
Reaction score
So I busted the tip off of my wooden ramrod when taking apart my Harpers Ferry 1805 kit. I am thinking of putting together a metal ramrod using mild steel tubing. I have some stay-brite and tinners flux. Is this a reasonable idea? Any considerations that I have missed?

I have made some metal ram rods using brass & stainless tubing then silver braze on end caps with one end threaded on the inside to 10-32 TPI. The brass tube was 0.032" wall thickness and the 304 stainless was 0.028" wall thickness but this had a tendency to bend so the next time I'll buy 0.032 wall thickness S.S. tubing. I buy the tubing from "On Line Metals". The Stay-Brite should do the trick but to be sure I'd cross pin the end cap with a 0.062" pin also.

Brass tubing. No aluminum and best not steel. Soft solder or low temp silver. High temp silver is not necessary. I prefer solid brass for range rod.

You are replicating an historic gun so keep it as close to the original as possible. I would use what the original guns had for the ramrod and use a solid brass range rod for most loading and shooting.

I am shooting for period correct (1750-1830, for the most part) not necessarily historically correct. As others have noted, this particular pistol already deviates from the originals (bore diameter, rifling, lock construction). Also, I am trying to develop a persona of tinker. So, if steel or brass loading rods were used in the period, they are fair game. After all, shoestring repair and modifications are part of my resume. Basic blacksmithing and gunsmithing are within my skill set.

Latest posts

Back