• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Metal Finishing Options

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thomas.bill92

40 Cal
Reaction score
Hey everyone! Well I was finally able to get enough pennies together to order a Kibler SMR kit, now I just have to sit around and wait for it! In the meantime I have been thinking about how I want to finish the barrel and metal furniture on the rifle and am 90% sure that I want to go with a gunmetal "antiqued" look. I Have asked around a bit on Instagram when I see a gun builder do something I like but am still weighing how I want to go about getting my intended finish. I saw Jim Kiblers video using a brass blackening solution and I have also seen someone use cold blue and steel wool to get a pretty similar effect. Would those of you with some experience under their belt be able to describe your methods for a gray finish with some example photos? Thanks!

This is 3 coats of Brownell's classic rust blue, which involves about 25 minutes in boiling water and "carding" with steel wool. The first coat produced what I would call a French Gray, which is what i think you're after. Keep in mind there are no hard and fast rules, each metal reacts differently depending on its chemistry.

Edit to add, on my current rifle build I'm going to experiment with the brass black solution.
Screenshot_20220525-131936_Gallery.jpg

Would those of you with some experience under their belt be able to describe your methods for a gray finish with some example photos? Thanks!

So one of the faux pas that I've seen is folks who don't remove the excess metal nor polish the lock before the antique finish is applied. I guess they think that the rough surface left by casting looks "old", but for those of us who have seen well preserve antique guns, the surface looks like just what it is..., a sand cast part that was machined, but was not polished before it was browned. (You see this on some semi-custom guns) Sometimes the same is true for the barrel..., depending if the barrel has some telltale marks left over from machining.

You can also stain a barrel and then polish it back, the lock too. You apply a mild acid, like vinegar, but you use mustard to do it. The stuff for hotdogs, goes on like a thin paste. You apply a thin but mostly even coat to degreased metal, and allow it to dry and go brown. This takes a day or two. Then you take an old toothbrush to brush it off and remove it, and see how well it discolored the metal. Repeat until you've gone a bit more discolored than you want, THEN you polish it back some. IF you use plain vinegar, it will bead, and you will end up with a barrel or lock with brown spots like a case of measles (personal experience) 😣

@The Appalachian above has a really nice finish shown in his comment, and it's very uniform, and I like it very much. What the mustard gives you is much more variation but no pitting..., as though over time in various amounts the metal started to rust, and was polished back when the owner had time. (He's also correct about the steel. I have something modern that is two-tone because the barrel was very different steel than the action. But that's a discussion for a different forum. ;) )

The mustard is also non-toxic. Which was why I started using it for metal, because my young son was into everything and had a nickname of "danger boy" as a small child.

Don't use bleach as sometimes is seen on knives to give an antique look. I think it's obvious as the pitting is rather unique to bleach. That's just my opinion though.

LD

This is 3 coats of Brownell's classic rust blue, which involves about 25 minutes in boiling water and "carding" with steel wool. The first coat produced what I would call a French Gray, which is what i think you're after. Keep in mind there are no hard and fast rules, each metal reacts differently depending on its chemistry.

Edit to add, on my current rifle build I'm going to experiment with the brass black solution.View attachment 141330
Awesome! Let me know how it goes.

So one of the faux pas that I've seen is folks who don't remove the excess metal nor polish the lock before the antique finish is applied. I guess they think that the rough surface left by casting looks "old", but for those of us who have seen well preserve antique guns, the surface looks like just what it is..., a sand cast part that was machined, but was not polished before it was browned. (You see this on some semi-custom guns) Sometimes the same is true for the barrel..., depending if the barrel has some telltale marks left over from machining.

You can also stain a barrel and then polish it back, the lock too. You apply a mild acid, like vinegar, but you use mustard to do it. The stuff for hotdogs, goes on like a thin paste. You apply a thin but mostly even coat to degreased metal, and allow it to dry and go brown. This takes a day or two. Then you take an old toothbrush to brush it off and remove it, and see how well it discolored the metal. Repeat until you've gone a bit more discolored than you want, THEN you polish it back some. IF you use plain vinegar, it will bead, and you will end up with a barrel or lock with brown spots like a case of measles (personal experience) 😣

@The Appalachian above has a really nice finish shown in his comment, and it's very uniform, and I like it very much. What the mustard gives you is much more variation but no pitting..., as though over time in various amounts the metal started to rust, and was polished back when the owner had time. (He's also correct about the steel. I have something modern that is two-tone because the barrel was very different steel than the action. But that's a discussion for a different forum. ;) )

The mustard is also non-toxic. Which was why I started using it for metal, because my young son was into everything and had a nickname of "danger boy" as a small child.

Don't use bleach as sometimes is seen on knives to give an antique look. I think it's obvious as the pitting is rather unique to bleach. That's just my opinion though.

LD
I need to find some scrap steel and start trying this stuff out!

Here is a photograph of three barrels done with Laurel Mountain Barrel Brown showing some different end results. From a lightly worn blue, worn grayish and brown. Result of varying the number and length of applications and how the oxidation process is stopped and carded or rubbed back.
1653585281052.jpeg
If

Last edited:
Back