• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Metal finish on Hawken rifles...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Maybe a stupid question...but do we know what they did as a standard finish to the metal on their rifles?

Brown, blue, any in the white? I was asked by a friend and thought I knew the answer...but the more I think about it I don’t know that I have seen a definitive answer. I’m sure the answer is out there, I just don’t have it.

I asked the hawken shop years ago what finish an original hawken would have had and they said blued, but turned to rust due to being in the elements all the time.

Yes, the modern salt blue wasn’t around yet. Rust blue generally has a satin or egg shell shine rather then a high polish buffed look of today’s guns. The breech was also color cased to give a corrosion resistance to it. There’s some good pictures of at least one Hawkins mountain rifle that shows this well.

The barrels of rifles from the Hawken Shop in St. Louis would have been blued. The lock plate, trigger guard and butt plate would be color case hardened.

Yes, the modern salt blue wasn’t around yet. Rust blue generally has a satin or egg shell shine rather then a high polish buffed look of today’s guns. The breech was also color cased to give a corrosion resistance to it. There’s some good pictures of at least one Hawkins mountain rifle that shows this well.

Grenadier1758 and Phil Coffins have provided accurate answers as far as we know. I've learned from several years of studying Hawken rifles that it is dangerous to make hard, fast statements concerning Hawken rifles, though. There's often an exception to any rule one might come up with.

The problem with "knowing" how the Hawken brothers finished their rifles is that there are so few surviving rifles that exhibit their original finish. To extrapolate that small sampling to all the rifles they made is not sound reasoning. A statistician would say that our sampling is statistically insignificant as regards to the whole population.

I was fortunate to be able to examine and photograph the Kit Carson Hawken in the Masonic Lodge in Santa Fe last month. It's an amazing rifle and probably the best preserved S. Hawken rifle extant. Much of the original finish can still be seen on the metal parts and the wood. It probably dates to about 1855 plus or minus, and represents the zenith of the Hawken rifle development. Here is a picture of it from Jim Gordon's book. (I haven't fully edited the photos I took and may post some of them at a later date.)

Kit-Carso-Hawken-Gordon-book.jpg

We don't know when Carson acquired this rifle. We do know that he owned other Hawken rifles before this and that this one is his last. He was stationed at Fort Garland in 1866 and part of '67 as his last assignment in military service, but that came to an end in the fall of 1867 when the New Mexico volunteers were disbanded. He apparently left his Hawken rifle at Fort Garland while he pursued other employment. He eventually relocated his family from Taos to Colorado near Fort Lyon and was asked by the government to accompany a group of Ute Indians to Washington, DC. While at Fort Lyon, Carson was diagnosed with an aneurysm of the aorta and did not have long to live. He traveled back East anyway. His health continued to decline, and he barely made it back to Colorado and his wife to be present for the birth of their eighth child, a daughter. Two weeks later, Josefa, his wife, died of complications following the birth. Less than a month later, Carson died at Fort Lyon.

He did not have an opportunity to go back to Fort Garland and reclaim his rifle. Following his death, the commander of Fort Garland had Carson's Hawken sent to the Masonic Lodge and given to the members in 1868. It has been in possession of the Lodge since then and protected from the elements.

Considering that it is about 165 years old, it is in amazing condition. The color case hardening is surprisingly vivid on the lock, the breech & tang, and the trigger plate. Though more worn, it is evident on the trigger guard, the butt plate, the nose cap, and possibly the toe plate. The entry pipe and the barrel wedge escutcheons had the finish worn off them, so I don't know for sure how they were finished--probably blued. The barrel, rib, and forward pipes are blue. I agree with Phil Coffins that the blueing would be what we call "rust blue".

The three most common processes for bluing firearms in this period were (1) temper bluing, (2) charcoal bluing, and (3) rust bluing. Temper bluing was common on European guns and can result in the most intense blue, but isn't very durable. Charcoal bluing as demonstrated by Jack Brooks is a more durable finish, but it's not as uniform. Rust bluing is both durable and uniform in color and appearance. The barrel on the Carson Hawken best matched the characteristics of rust bluing.

There are a few other Hawken rifles that still show traces case hardening colors. The Jim Bridger Hawken in the Montana Historical Society is one.
MHS-trigger-guard-lock-area.jpg

The Museum of the Fur Trade has another S. Hawken rifle that still shows color on the breech plug.

But what about during the J&S Hawken period? Don Stith once owned a pre-1840 J&S Hawken that George Shumway included in his "Longrifles of Note" column in the August 1998 issue of Muzzle Blasts. It's been well preserved and retains much of its original finish. Again, the lock, breech & tang, and the rest of the iron furniture is color case hardened while the barrel is blue.

J-amp-S-Hawken-Don-Stith-full-pg-2.jpg

An invoice found in the AFC records for goods sent to the 1834 rendezvous lists "6 steel mounted rifles, Hawken,” at $20 each and “10 steel mounted rifles,” at $17.50 each. The latter are probably some of the "steel" mounted American pattern rifles that the AFC ordered from JJ Henry based on the listed price. It's interesting that the records used the word "steel" to describe the mounts on both the Hawken rifles and the Henry rifles. Steel was expensive at this time and the only parts made of steel on a rifle were the springs in the locks. The rest were made of wrought iron. Did the clerks mistakenly use the word steel when they meant iron? Seems odd that they would, because it was used by clerks in New York as well as in St. Louis pertaining to some of the same rifles. Could the choice of the word "steel" meant case hardened iron?

It was standard practice to case harden the iron lock parts to make them wear resistant. Percussion breech plugs were likely case hardened because it made them resistant to erosion and corrosion. Case hardening the iron butt plate, trigger plate, and trigger guard would offer more wear resistance to those parts, also.

So we have a few surviving Hawken rifles with color case hardened mounts and blue barrels and possibly a period reference to "steel" or case hardened mounts. Would the few thousand rifles the Hawken brothers made be finished like these handful of rifles? Maybe, maybe not.

To rust blue a barrel, they would have first browned it. Whose to say that on some, they stopped at the browning step.

Surviving records of fur companies, Hudson Bay Co., American Fur Co., Pierre Chouteau Jr & Co., and the Ewing Brothers, show that trade guns and rifles were ordered with barrels in the bright, blue, and brown. It seems their customers preferred to have some choice in not only caliber and barrel length, but also in appearance.

Perhaps some of the Hawken customers did too.

I can't prove they ever existed, but I would be shocked if not at least a few of the Hawken rifles did not leave their shop with barrels and the iron or steel mountings "in the white" or browned.
I would find it shocking if they built no guns with a brass or perhaps "German Silver"/Pewter or "white brass" (nickel silver) butt plate, trigger guard, and mountings, as well.
From what I understand (please correct me if I am mistaken) each Hawken rifle built was for the specific person that ordered it. They did not mass produce their guns and have a warehouse full of finished rifles.
Surely some would have wanted something other than color case hardened fittings and a blued barrel, if for no other reason than to make their rifle stand out, should it ever be stolen or found and claimed, so their fellows not with him, would know he be dead?

Given that the items included in the AFC manifest included
Hawken rifles it would seem that they were not all built to order for individuals. Unless trappers in the west ordered way in advance?

A smart business practice in the Hawken shop may have been to build inventory during the winter and move it any way they could while individuals and fur companies were buying for their intentions of going west during the warmer days of spring and summer.

Just speculating. I have no special knowledge of this.

I'm intrigued by the rifling of the Carson rifle. Pretty much the opposite of the land groove ratios favored today.

longcruise, you're right that not all Hawken sales were built to order for individuals. The AFC, through its agent Bernard Pratte & Company and later Pratte, Chouteau, & Company, obviously ordered Hawken rifles in quantity. These include the 6 Hawken rifles for the 1834 rendezvous mentioned above as well as 11 Hawken rifles in 1830, 12 Hawken rifles for the 1836 rendezvous, and 10 Hawken rifles for the 1837 rendezvous that we know about. Also, John C. Fremont recorded that he purchased 30 rifles from J&S Hawken for his third expedition in 1845.

Whether they built rifles on spec or received orders in advance is not clear. I would expect the fur company placed orders in advance and Fremont likely did also. I could also see the Hawken shop having some rifles on hand for walk in customers. They would have wanted to keep themselves and their workers busy during slack periods.

As far as the rifling and land groove ratios, looking through Jim Gordon's book, rifling with the lands wider than the grooves seems to have been pretty common in this period. I see it with Hawken rifles, Leman rifles, Deringer rifles, Tryon rifles, and others.

Another difference between now and then is the treatment of the muzzle. It wasn't common back then to "crown" the muzzle by rounding it like today. Back then, they often made a shallow cone or bell in the muzzle no more than a half inch deep to aid in starting the patch ball. The grooves were filed deeper at the muzzle, possibly to encourage the patch to fill the groove with the folds of the patch. The grooves were not necessarily as deep as they appear right at the muzzle.

I’ve examined the buttplate and guard from an early J&S Hawken halfstock which is so rusted it would be impossible to tell if these parts were originally case hardened. I’ll see if I can learn what the barrel looks like in the barrel channel. Now like the rest of the gun, the exposed barrel is brown. Just as likely from use as from being finished that way.

Back