• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

metal finish for fusil de chasse

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flintfan69

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Thought I had read a thread on this subject once, but my search turned up nothing. Sorry if this is a repeat.

What is the general opinion on what the original metal finish for a fusil de chasse was? Where they blued or left bright? From what I understand browning is far too modern.

Forrest, if you put a good coat of oil on the barrel- WD40 works well- and leaveThe gun out where the air will get to it, your grey patina will develop quite nicely over several days. How dark it gets will be determined by you, as you can always polish it back to white.

It is your gun brown it if you want.
to much PC...phooey

just though I would before someone else did...

I am getting ready to do my barrel (another type of kit) and want to gray it. I keep seeing different posts on differnt methods. Mustard, Naval Jelly, and now WD-40. What is the process that makes the barrel gray? I assumed it was acid, but the WD-40 doesn't fit that mold. Any guesses?

I just completed a Spanish escopeta from TRS parts. I, too, wanted the "grey" look. Tried mustard, but wasn't pleased with the results...left patchy irregular patterns that I didn't like. Probably my fault because all I had in the house was "spicy brown" grainy mustard. And when I was through trying it, I didn't want to even look at a hotdog for two weeks. :surrender:

I steel-wooled back to clean metal, degreased, applied BC Super Blue, degreased, then applied LMF browning solution over the top of the blue. Let it work a couple of hours till it had a fine sheen of red rust. Then rubbed it back with burlap and repeated the bluing and browning over again. Finished with a good rinse in water, then glass cleaner to neutralize. Warmed the barrel and rubbed in melted beeswax sparingly, then another burlap rub. A lot easier and faster than it sounds, and ended up with a really uniform "old pewter" grey. Has just a very faint rust tinge in recesses, what I was really looking for for a gun that spent it's life in hot, humid East Texas.
If I can figure out how, I'll try to post a pic or two tomorrow

Back