• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Metal-core ramrod?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam50cal

32 Cal
Reaction score
10 years or so ago I remember a company that made wooden ramrods with metal cores that were supposed to be nearly indestructible. Can’t seem to find them online and don’t remember the name of the company. Does anybody know if they’re still around? I’d like to replace the busted rod that came with my pedersoli frontier.

10 years or so ago I remember a company that made wooden ramrods with metal cores that were supposed to be nearly indestructible. Can’t seem to find them online and don’t remember the name of the company. Does anybody know if they’re still around? I’d like to replace the busted rod that came with my pedersoli frontier.
That sounds like a good idea to keep them from breaking but for actual loading a one piece steel rod with a down bore muzzle protector is the best way to preserve the muzzle crown.
Leave the wood rod for hunting and to fill the pipes for the authentic look.
Wood will embed grit and becomes a file of sorts that destroys muzzle crowns over many years of use and is one of the main reasons traditional muzzle loaders had to be "freshed" out periodically.

It should be pretty easy too make one .

Easier than buying a half-dozen straight grained wooden rods?
I don't do anything special to my wooden rods other than a good oil soak after fitting and staining, and if I break one, well I did something pretty wrong. I use a brass rod at the range and wooden ones in the field.

LD

I make my own starting with a straight grain board then 1/2" blanks. Piece of cake to split a blank, route a channel, epoxy a rod between and then round it.

When I did a two week backcountry hunt i I made a solid steel rod. I liked it so much it became my regular rod.

Back