• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Messed up while cleaning and got hot soapy water on ramrod.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

100manhuff

32 Cal
Reaction score
While cleaning I managed to get hot soapy water on ny ramrod and it has now changed to a lighter color. Any tips on how to change it back?

First thing is to get a brass or steel working rod to use for cleaning. I know its a little late now. But that's going to be a recommendation from most of us.

Cleaning secret you need to know: You are going to get soapy water (or whatever black powder solvent you are using) on the ramrod. That's just the way cleaning works. The cleaning patches are not a seal.

I don't know what stain was used to color your rod. So let us know what was the original color. Pictures will always help. Maker of the rifle is also good to know. Let the rod completely dry out. The bee's wax is a good idea. You want a permanent stain. Some of the leather dyes will change color in the sun.

The ramrod is from a Traditions Kentucky Rifle. Its a bit darker than thw image shows.

Attachments

• 15945575480043861636952676271782.jpg
    15945575480043861636952676271782.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 73
I destroyed the wooden ramrod that came with my CVA Bobcat, using it for cleaning. I bought a Zytel(?) (plastic) ram road for loading and a second for cleaning. No more problems.

Don't even bother with it. Shooting with soot and grease on your hands will give it a patina. The onboard rods are not the best choice for cleaning. E even if they are tough, they are also relatively short. Hot soapy wTer is not the best choice either. Warm water without soap will do the job just fine.

There were some fine ebony or rose wood rods with old guns. And I suspect many of these rods were looked at but not used. The gun bearer would have some sort of extra ‘wiping stick’. Most rods were plain hickory or ash and stained in use. Some later southern guns had a candy stripe.
Many rods sold with production arms are made out of dried pasta or some such fragile thing. When possible should be replaced with real hickory rod.
A stain that’s lighter then your gunstock and a couple of coats of stock or furniture oil. Then a bit wax.
Rods should look used.... lived in and loved.

Howdy All: I have had my Lyman Great Plains Rifle in .50 caliber sense I bought it in Casper, Wyoming according to Lyman, by the serial number, it was created in 1984 and have I used Bore Butter all the years I have had it. The last thing I do before putting it in my Gun Safe is wipe the inside the bore, the outside of the bore and all the wood down with an old tee shirt and patch. I have no rust and a darn nice smooth bore still today. I used that rifle in the cold and wet of Wyoming winters with no problems even though I used hot water and dish soap to clean with and I still shoot it at 79 years young. Last time I managed to get 13 shots off, no problem of obstruction or clogging from the seven whatever powder I use. Also rub a bit on all the steel on the rifle. Now that's not bad for an old .50 cal smoke pole.. Keep your powder dry. Pistol Pete By the way I am still using the same ram rod that came with the rifle in 1984. Just wipe it with a small amount of Bore Butter before I put it away. Hope it helps ya'll. My patches are soaked in bore butter too.

Since it seems to bother you, try wiping it w/ alcohol, to get any oil or wax off (a bit of fine steel wool wouldn't hurt, either). Once it's dry, get a small can of wood stain that looks like it's a close match to your gunstock (most shops have cards showing how the stain looks on different woods). Wipe the stain on in light coats, letting it sit a few minutes but wiping any excess off before it's dry. Keep re-coating until you like the color, letting each coat dry a couple hours before rubbing it smooth w/ fine steel wool. When you are satisfied, rub beeswax into it - and order a hickory replacement, for when it breaks. (If it doesn't, then you'll have a spare "wiping rod", an old tradition.

I'd just wipe it down with boiled linseed oil, let it dry and just use it. It will get a patina going again.

Back