• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Members project cannons, mortars & howitzers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all,
6pounder here and yes I'm a real person.Just asking with the "KISS" mortar do you get much bypass of gases by having machined mating parts or do you have tight mating finish on the breach base and the tube? Only looking at this possible problem from a machinist piont of veiw. Would it have been better to make the tube and breach in one or did you max out machine capacity? But I see that all your parts would be easy to optained. Any how good first job out there. best regards Kelvin, 6pounder. lets make it loud for the crowd. :thumbsup:

Surprisingly, in the 5 years since I built my first one of these, I haven't experience any blow-by yet. I was expecting some around the the upper part of the breech plug since it is slip fit. The lip of the breech plug seats against the lip in the barrel and is pulled tight by the screws in the trunnion, sealing the barrel.

This mortar was designed to be a simple basic machine job, requiring minimal machining skills or minimal machine cost to make. Simplification also required it be easily disassembled for cleaning to address an expected issue with blow by. This is a entry level project, thus K.I.S.S. title.

Yes the next skill level/cost factor up would be to make out one piece of steel or shrink fit the breech plug.
. http://www.go2gbo.com/forums//index.php/topic,70859.0.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Last year I got a barrel from Brooks-USA that was made to the dimensions of the Cannon I used when I shot with the South African Miniature Cannon Club. I provided the dimensions and Brooks built the barrel.

The SAMCC Cannon
standard.jpg

Here is the barrel from Brooks.
standard.jpg

The general profile is that of a British 32 PDR.

The SAMCC cannon is muzzle heavy so muzzle swell on this gun was reduced for better preponderance.

I built the carriage with white oak harvested from a tree removed from my sons yard in Virginia in 2003.

standard.jpg

The carriage color is yellow ochre, the same color as the carriages on the HMS Victory.

I modified standard hardware store nuts and bolts for the hardware.
standard.jpg

It's 50 caliber and does shoot. Click on picture below.

I have built a breech rope so it does not recoil off the platform.

Douglas: It's a neat little cannon. I was surprised at the recoil (or is it just good wheels?).
What is the powder charge and the range at that elevation? Is the loading procedure the same as for a mortar?
Pete

Pete,

Good recoil and free rolling truck and to close to the back of the platform.

To control recoil, I have done what they did on ships and added a breech rope for shooting.

standard.jpg

I will be using this to shoot the GBO postal which emulates the monthly miniature cannon match held in Durban, South Africa. The match is shot a 20 meters on the B-17 target. Six rounds fired, best 5 score. Fired twice for a total of 12 rounds

I haven't developed a load for this gun yet, but used the load I used in South Africa with the South African gun, 40 grains of FFg and a patched 50 cal round ball for first test shoots.

As soon as I can shake this cold I got from my Granddaughter, I am going to go out to the range and work on loads.

Loading process for this cannon is like loading a muzzleloading pistol, with one exception, plug the vent, load loose powder, load patched ball. Fire.

Clear the vent, swab the bore, dry the bore. Load.

This barrel is a very nice barrel and given the price of brass and the cost machine, great detail a bargain at the price.

Here's a link to my build http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php/topic,187056.0.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi DD, 6pounder here nice piece. Could you tell me what is written on the muzzle or would it be possible to post a photo of it no the forum. These kinds of detail help people like myself to make and put together some really nice accrurate pieces. As myself and fellow forum member Broadarrow have lots of images of cannon parts showing these types of detail. You might see that I tried to put as much as I could into my naval carriage,( posted by broadarrow). Regards kelvin, 6pounder. Keep it loud for the crowd. :thumbsup:

Hi DD, thanks for sharing your photos nice clear inscription on the muzzle and good to see that some histroy will be preserved in that way.I thought that you may have had something of an English type inscription that is why I asked if you could post a photo, thanks. Regards Kelvin 6pounder. keep it loud for the crowd! :thumbsup:

Here is my 3/4in bore mortar "Thumper". Made by a friend for me back in vocational school.
fkabg4.jpg

bfneoo.jpg

and my .50 cal cannon "Sparky" made by myself in college machine tools class.
1267kh1.jpg

14loh0y.jpg

and my tiny .50 cal dictator mortar I have yet to build a carriage for yet. Also made by myself in machine tools class
14wd9cj.jpg

Hi 6pounder here, awsome looking barrel that "sparky" has. Looks very pleasing to the eye and may be more suited in a mountain howitzer carriage. Although it's carriage looks practical and simple to make. Carriage for your dictator would be very nice if it was made of steel, not wood, seeing that you have a sence of metal work. It would require some time to make if you went right down to the hand rivets but it would really finish it off. Thanks for adding your toys to the group. :hatsoff:
Regards, Kelvin 6pounder.
"Keep it loud for the crowd" :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back