• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Medieval artillery.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
barrelbandreleased.jpg
barrelbandsecured.jpg

The_Lions_Paw_Birth_Certificate.jpg
toeandskidplate.jpg
breechassemblybed.jpg

The Lion's Paw's birth certificate. This is all that I had to begin with in 1981. A Bohemian 2 pdr from ca.1447, 600 lbs, 8" long & 4" wide. This is all you will need so go build one. :wink:

Great pictures from great angles...now if I only
needed a cannon this would show me how they are
supposed to look...Thanks for your work.
Wulf

I have to apologize for this messy post. We didn't have computers in the 15th century. :doh:

rrc

I'm glad an expert has arrived. It seemed that when I uploaded more than 2, all or some were rejected. As you can clearly note, the post was also bedeviled with repetition that was unwarranted. Another thing that escapes me is the seemingly lack of ability to edit after posting ones own submission. Consequently I did what worked for me.

Yes, It should have been in one post. You have my permission to do it.

I am not likely to be back here in the future. I am not a habitue of forums. I only signed on for the moment to impart what I have to offer. In this case, a question regarding medieval cannons. Also, I also found a space for my research paper on the Morko Handgonne.

Very interesting and educational forum.

RRC,fSA

I will respond to off line PM's

Morko said:
Another thing that escapes me is the seemingly lack of ability to edit after posting ones own submission.
You have 15 minutes to edit or delete your own post. :)

Morko, most impressed with that fine gun ! Here in Western Australia, we had a Dutch Yacht the Duyfken made, that had cannon of similar construction, some breech loaders as well using the mug type chambers held in with wedges. Would love to know how you went about making her.

cheers

heelerau

Heelerau,
If you will look at my other post, F & I war Montreal Blacksmith Artillery, I describe the process to encourage a build.

rrc

Somewhere I have an old book on artillery that had prints of a gun like that. Used a chamber piece that was inserted and then had some kind of wedge placed behind it to push it up tight against the breech. Wish I knew where that book was.

"Round Shot and Rammers" has a few hand-drawn illustrations of these breech loading cannons. When you start dealing with guns of this era, you encounter terms like patarero, portingal base, base, drake, port-piece, stock-fowler, sling-piece and murderer. Look at English guns and you run into robinet, falconet, falcon, minion, saker, demi-culverin, culverin, demi-cannon, cannon and cannon royal...mostly, the difference is merely bore diameter and tube length. Can leave you scratching your noggin! :wink: :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back