• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Meat in da been pot

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Saw a recipe for Moroccan beef. Cooked in the chimneys shaped Moroccan pots. I don’t have one. I do have a bean pot. So I gave it a try.
Chuck roast cut up in to 2” squares and browned, removed leaving grease and meat juice.
Large onion and a pound of carrots chopped and fried in the beef pan just till onions are translucent. Chopped garlic at same time, I did half a dozen cloves.
Put the meat in the pot, veggies around it, then cover with broth, or bone broth. Season with a couple tables spoons each oregano , and cinnamon, black pepper to taste, in the oven at 250 f for six hours.
My mother may be rolling in her grave at the desecration of a bean pot( she was from Rhodes Island)but it came out really good.
Next I’m going to try some Spanish dirty laundry.... Ropa Vieja.
It’s similar in spices but adds garbanzo beans smaller meat cuts and shredded and chicken and pork are added.
At least it would be beans in the bean pot

Using a bean pot would be more like Tangia cooking as opposed to Tagine cooking.

This is a tagine.

1603637514599.png

These are tangia pots.

1603637637832.png

Ah I did not know about tangia
So I guess the bean pot was on the right track
Ain’t I jest the cosmo-polertan

Yes, you were exactly on the right track.
Tangia pot cooking is a very popular style of Moroccan cooking, often with each individual having their own pot cooked in a central oven.

Clay pot or earthenware cooking is something I need to do more of.

Gordon Ramsay had camel meat cooked in a clay pot and said it was very good.
I need for my job to send me to Morocco, so I can try it.

I don’t know what I like best. Cornbread baked in an iron skillet or journey cake on a campfire.
Can’t beat the flavor.
Thang God for gussets in breeches, wish my modern pants had ‘em

On the subject of johhny cake, my mom's hoe cakes were the best thing ever. Had them with beans, always saved one for molasses or brer rabbit syrup for dessert.

Sad my wife doesn't care for them. She likes cornbread cooked in her mom's cast iron skillet in the oven.. go figure.

Cast iron has magical properties and makes everything taste even that much better. That’s why the old chuck wagons carried cast iron instead of crock pots and electric skillets. I’m sure I’ve read that on the internet.

Taken care of your great grand children’s grand children can be using it. But it does make a big difference in flavor

One being "durability" and the other is subjective. Every cooking vessel or method brings it's own flavor IMO.

That is a truism. Exception maybe being glass maybe, or non stick pots.
Milk in a tin cup is oh so good. The bean pot from above really makes the difference in bean flavor. My copper makes a big difference in stews vs the same stuff in tin, even though the copper is tin lined

Back