• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

MBS patchbox kit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HighUintas

40 Cal
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the MBS patchbox kits come curved or flat? I was planning on ordering some supplies before going on vacation and the MBS owner is on vacation now, so he can't answer my question.

Thanks! I know that tracks sells their box kits slightly prevent but didn't know if MBS did at all. I figured I'd have to do the final bend fitting anyway

I've always struggled with bending the hinge / pins, and then getting the PB to operate smoothly. One of the many frustrations of PB installation.

Col.,
Before you start bending, remove the hinge pin, and relieve the hinge sleeves at an angle, then replace the pin, so they don’t bind as you bend to shape for the stock.
Works very well.

I've always struggled with bending the hinge / pins, and then getting the PB to operate smoothly. One of the many frustrations of PB installation.
If you struggle with the hinge binding and you are making it from scratch as opposed to buying a pre-made one, follow the advise of Gary Brumfield. Bend the hinge before cutting the knuckles. When you cut the knuckles, make your cuts 90 deg. to the stock - not 90 deg to the patchbox. See the included link. This method worked on the very first box I made and there was quite a bit of curve to the box.
Good luck,
Kevin
http://www.flintriflesmith.com/ToolsandTechniques/making_a_curved_box_hinge.htm

If you struggle with the hinge binding and you are making it from scratch as opposed to buying a pre-made one, follow the advise of Gary Brumfield. Bend the hinge before cutting the knuckles. When you cut the knuckles, make your cuts 90 deg. to the stock - not 90 deg to the patchbox. See the included link. This method worked on the very first box I made and there was quite a bit of curve to the box.
Good luck,
Kevin
http://www.flintriflesmith.com/ToolsandTechniques/making_a_curved_box_hinge.htm

Thanks! I've read through that a couple of times and he's still got me convinced I might be able to make one myself. I did order a blank kit from MBS anyway.

I've made mainly 2 styles of Pboxes.....normal 4 pc and the side opening. While the 4 pc boxes only have to have the finial and lid bent, the sideplates are flat w/ only a slight curve which is filed on. The side opening Pboxes naturally only have the lid bent but not always to the stock contour. Just having a lid and a vertical knuckle plate as are the side opening Poxes, requires fewer hrs to make.

The hinges on the 4 pc Pboxes should be bent and the hinge pin can be made from soft baling wire whereas the hinge pins for the side openers are made from hardened music wire.

I've always enjoyed making both styles of Pboxes.....Fred

Attachments

• P1010013.JPG
    P1010013.JPG
    200.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Lancaster-IH 014.jpg
    Lancaster-IH 014.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 0
Back