• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Maybe I'm an Idiot: Barrell Wedge Won't Go Back In

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I read somewhere last night a review for the cabelas "1851 confederate navy" having extremely short amount of threading on the cylinder pin.. Just wondering if you did not have that cylinder pin screwed all the way in, or at least failed to get the slot to the same angle the factory did....

hindsight is wonderful isnt it?

On one of my 60' Army revolvers, I took a file and slightly beveled the sharp edge on the slot in the cylinder pin, where the wedge was catching. Made it a lot easier to put in. I dont see what negative effects it could have.

Jeff

The issue with me now will be to see how long it takes Uberti to replace the pistol. They have my money, and I have diddly-squat. Does anyone have experience with the same sort of problem? What was the turn around time? Did you get good customer service?

-- VF

Gentlemen -
Thanks for all your comment & suggestions. The story has the ending I'd hoped for -- Uberti replaced the pistol with a new one within a week. This is the kind of Customer Service I'd hoped for from a class manufacturer.

Bravo, Uberti, & thanks, Guys.

-- VF

Glad you got it "fixed" even though it is a different gun. That is one way to keep their reputation untarnished.

Check out my new post on that subject.

Shoot Safely!
WV_Hillbilly

Postscript to the story. It being Father's Day & all -- which means I get at least a little free time -- I got out to the range for about an hour and a half & got to put the replacement 1861 through its paces. (Amazing how easily that little wedge goes in and out now....).

First shot @ 15 yards was an honest-to-pete bullseye -- drilled the center of the target, smack in the middle. Scared the hell out of myself. Others grouped very well & consistently. Seems to be a very accurate piece of work.

I can see myself bonding with this sucker.

But y'know -- with all the debate over Pietta vs. Uberti, one thing that never gets discussed is documentation. When I was trying to figure out the problem I had, the manual that came with the pistol was no help at all. Zero. Diddly-squat.

Now this is something I've done for a living: write computer documentation, so I'm attuned to it probably more than most. But no matter what you think of the merits of the actual firearms themselves, the Pietta manual I have for my Remington is a whole load better than the paltry stuff Uberti includes.

This may not be a big deal for experienced people, but beginners need guidance. These are, after all, deadly weapons.

One thing maybe all of us should advocate with the manufacturers is a good set of documentation with all BP firearm purchases. And maybe a link to this website, which really was the #1 help I had in getting started with this great hobby last year.

-- VF

It would be a good idea but i thought they already sent enough information to get their product loaded, fired, cleaned, and oiled to ensure safety for the user and the bystander.
The lack of proper documentation is deadly. But just throwing in a small pamphlet will do no good. Does it say anything about barrel obstructions caused by a barrel plugged solid with cosmoline? doubt it..

Latest posts

Back