• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

May 2023 Postal Target

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had a chance to make some bacon today.

T/C Hawken .54 percussion
.530 round ball
40 gr. of Goex 3F
.015 patch
Score =15

Attachments

• DSCN1147.JPG
    DSCN1147.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
IMG_1283.jpeg
IMG_1284.jpeg
IMG_1285.jpeg

1st pic- my Traditions Kentucky. 2nd pic - my rifle range. There’s 275 more yards beyond that target, and a turkey back there somewhere. 3rd pic - I’m shooting .490 WW PRB, .015 ticking, bore butter lube, 50 grains FFFG. 1st two shots low, off the paper, next two on the paper, last shot on the pig. I got a five.
Now the fun… went to reshoot it. New target. Changed to .018 ticking just to try it out and see how it worked. Kept everything else the same. First shot, juuuust below the penny. So I’m thinking that hey, maybe I can get all five in the pig this time! Next shot went like this: .490 ball on .018 ticking with bore butter lube, and zero grains of FFFG…. Yep, you read that right. DRY BALL!
Found out that wheel weights are VERY hard to get the ball puller started in the ball. Actually, impossible. Ended up pulling the flash hole, dumping in as much FFFFG as I could, probably four or five pans worth, not a lot. Shot the ball out.
Didn’t make it back out to the range.
-Red, Living and learning…

That looks like a lot of fun. What is the target for June?
I seriously could have shot that better with my bow, but then I’ve shot that thing easily ten thousand times…
It was a lot of fun. I’m going back to re-shoot it this afternoon. Got a little job to knock out this morning first.
-Red, killing the pig this time…

I can't believe it's May 1 already! April zipped by too quickly. Hope that all members who live up in the snow will have better shooting weather in May.

Since May 23 is Lucky Penny Day, this month's target will be a contest to hit the penny. Shoot 5 shots at 25 yards offhand for rifle. Pistol shooters shoot from 15 yards.

Hits inside the penny are 10pts. Anywhere else in the body scores 5 pts (the tail doesn't count).

1/2 of the ball diameter must be inside the scoring area to count. Please try to post pics of your equipment along with your target and write your score on the target. This will be a reentry match - shoot it as many times as you want but only post your best target.

Hope you enjoy this and I look forward to seeing some good scores with this target - I think I will be able to see it better!

Gary
Do you need to be a supporting member to participate?

Shot the penny today with .32 half stock. First 2 shots low and I adjusted sight picture for last 3 shots and they were in the penny. Got this from BigSkyRambler and it shoots as nice as it looks!
View attachment 224109View attachment 224110
Gary was that offhand? That's some fine shooting! And Mike too, you boys are really raising the bar.
The Penny's not an easy target surrounded by all those zero point opportunities.

Latest posts

Back