• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

May 2021 Postal Match - 6 Shot

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got mine shot today, 6 shots and six hits. It seems however that the lucky circles were protected by some sort of mystic force field as every shot I sent their way was deflected to the center of the card......or perhaps the 20mph wind blowing across my range had something to do with it? Either way, luck abandoned me and I never found the windage.

Thanks for all the good times Marc! Next month it looks like Y'all get to shoot my targets.😆

20210515_151228.jpg
20210515_151828.jpg

11th corps Patriot target inspired me to dig out my .45 TC patriot and shoot a pistol target this month as well. What a shame I left this pistol sit in a gunsock for years unfired. I bought it years ago in possibly unfired condition...until now. After sighting and shooting my 6 shot target, I shot another 50-60 shots. What a nice little pistol!

Attachments

• 20210516_185058.jpg
    20210516_185058.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 116
Rifle target
Smoothbore N/W Trade Gun
.600 RB
60 grains of FFF Goex
PT patch
My 6th shot was off the paper, just nicked the bottom of the right hand corner.
When I shoot this gun I hum "Indian Reservation" by Paul Revere and The Raiders. Can't help it.

004.jpg

That's quite good for a smoothie (and quite a gamble!). If you can get tow, try 70 - 80 gr. FFFg with hand rolled tow wads fore and aft with that .600" RB on the same target. Btw, the tow wads need to be large enough to require a bit of muscle to seat + damp swabbing the bore after each shot for peak accuracy.

It has been a long time comming but my .570 ball mold finally showed up on the brown truck yesterday! I will get some balls cast for my Harpers Ferry Pistol tonight and try my hand at a pistol target tomorrow. I'll get both targets in the mail saturday.

Chris

It has been a long time comming but my .570 ball mold finally showed up on the brown truck yesterday! I will get some balls cast for my Harpers Ferry Pistol tonight and try my hand at a pistol target tomorrow. I'll get both targets in the mail saturday.

Chris
Is that the percussion or flint?
Been looking at the percussion kit.

11th Corps,
She is a kit built flinter. The lock geometry is about the worst i've seen but she still sparks nice. No rear sight and I havent shot her yet so we will see if I can even hit paper.....
20210327_155002.jpg

Got my pistol target shot today. The lock on the Harpers Ferry needs alot of tinkering. I was only getting 3 or 4 shots per flint and no matter how i trued to shim it the only way i could get spark was by letting it bash the flint straight into the frizzen. Frustration aside she shot well when she shot. That i hit anything at all at 25yds with no rear sight was a miracle in itself....even if 1 hit was a joker...... I was using 30gr of 3f which looks like it was barely able to penetrate my 1/4" ply target board so one hole is only partially through the paper. When it comes to flint pistol shooting im as green as can be but it sure was fun!

20210528_174529.jpg

This month slipped away in a hurry. This is the last weekend of the month to get your target shot ans mailed. Since Monday is a holiday I will accept targets postmarked June 1. Get those targets printed, shot and mailed folks.

As of the end of business Friday I have received targets from the following shooters.
11th corps
flinter1977
nessmuk
PIGGLOVER
Winchester97

In transit?:
Fly103
RanchRoper

May Final Results

We only had 8 shooters participate in the May shoot. Eight Rifle and 2 Pistol targets were sent in. Participation was down a bit. I’m guessing folks were too busy to get to the range, probably Spring cleaning.

There was a tie for third place in the Rifle shoot and a tie for first place in Pistol.

I want to thank Fly103 (Chris) for taking over the task of running the monthly shoot. He’s off to a great start with a challenging June target. I must say, I believe that shooting has improved since I took on the shoot. If I get a chance to get back to shooting I’ll be sure to participate in the monthly shoot.

Rifle Top 3

Member​
Score​
RanchRoper
50​
Professor flintlock
40​
Fly103
30​
Winchester97
30​

Rifle All Shooters w/ Remarks

Member​
Score​
Remarks​
11th corps
25​
.60 Trade Gun Flint, smoothbore. 60 gr. Goex 3f, PT patch
Flinter 1977
25​
.54 TC New Englander, .530, 90 gr Graf 2f, .530, .015 PT, beeswax / lard.
Fly103
30​
.50 Pedersoli Pennsylvania. .490, 50gr Goex 3f, Mr. Flintlock lube
nessmuk
15​
.45 parts gun, flint. 40gr Goex 3f, .015 patch
PIGGLOVER
18​
.36 Southern – Flint. .350, 20gr Swiss 3f, spit patch
Professor flintlock
40​
.36 SMR Kibler flintlock, .360, 4 gr Goex 3f, 38 gr pyrodex, .015 ticking. Black powder is in short supply at the moment.
RanchRoper
50​
.50 Frontier. ?
Winchester97
30​
.36 Kibler SMR, .350 Lee mould, 35 gr 2f, .020 olive oil

Pistol w/ Remarks

Score​
Remarks
11th corps
25​
.45 TC Patriot, .440, 30 gr Goex 3f.
Fly103
25​
.58 Pedersoli Harper’s Ferry, .570, 40 gr 3f Goex – front sight only

Marc, it sure has been fun and I look foward to keeping the tradition going! Before I discovered this forum I was pretty much shooting at pop cans, expired eggs, and whatever else I thought might be a good target. It is a fun challenge doing these offhand paper shoots and suddenly I am critiquing every shot I take with emphasis on knowing where it went before I ever break my cheek weld, and tweaking little things like thumb placement in search of the steadiest hold possible.

This really is alot of fun!
Chris

PS......Marc is a generous guy, i didnt think my pistol target was that great.😅

Back