• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

May 2021 Postal Match - 6 Shot

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This month I whipped up a target using a deck of cards that's been lying on my desk for a few months. While pushing them around I decided they would make good targets. What I came up with isn't as good as splitting cards but it's what I came up with.

Download and print your target attached below. Write your forum screen name on the front of your target as soon as you print it!

This is a six shot target. Fire one shot at each card. Each card has two circles, one around each designation. Pick one and shoot at it, it's your choice.

Scoring will be as follows:
Corner Circle = 10
Card Area Outside Circle = 5
Missed Card = 0
Joker = -2

The shooting distance for this contest is 25 yards.
No do-over’s. Print and shoot one target only. One rifle and one pistol is acceptable.
Only registered forum members may participate.

If you would like please take a picture of your target and post it on the forum under this months (May) shot to share with other members. However, to be officially scored and posted in the final results you must still mail in your target unless you are overseas as noted below.

Only traditional, open iron sighted muzzle loading firearms; peeps are allowed under the condition you mark your target so I know you used a peep. (Tracking it) NO Cannons. Percussion, flintlock or matchlock ignition only. Pistol will be in their own class. Cap and Ball revolvers are OK.

Single patched round ball only. No restrictions on caliber. (a patchless ball may be used if so desired)

Shots shall be taken off-hand at the stated distance. Standing or seated is allowed, elbows unsupported by anything other than the shooters torso. In the event that a member is not physically able to hold his rifle up unsupported, a "prop-rod" that is supported only by the shooters torso, no part of which prop-rod may touch the ground, may be used to hold up the fore-end of the rifle.

Only original targets will be accepted. No copies, faxes, scan, etc. unless you're an overseas participant...
Overseas participants may scan and e-mail me. Just send me a PM through the forum and attach it or I'll give you my e-mail address. As long as I can CLEARLY make the target out I'll accept it.** (I recommend using a dark backing paper when you scan / copy it if possible so that the holes show clearly)

New Rule… Old Eyes - Small Targets, What To Do?
Considering the nature of the event being, a print and mail target and there being no prize other than bragging rights, the object is to encourage shooters to shoot and share their results, whatever they may be, in hopes we can all learn a bit. In September 2020 shoot participants overwhelmingly voted to adjust the rules to allow adding color to the target(s) to add contrast to better see the intended point of impact. This can be done at the individual shooters desire, this is optional.
Note: This may not be necessary with all targets but it has been adopted as a standing rule.

Pistol Class:
For those who would like, you can shoot one target with long gun and one with pistol. Please mark your target accordingly.

How close is close enough? Over half the ball must penetrate inside the scoring ring to be counted at the highest value. In other words, the ring in which the majority of the ball hits the target will be the score value. The center of the shot placement on the target will be determined by the judge. Judges decisions are final.

Fire 6 shots only, misses count! Mutilated targets or targets with more than 6 holes will be disqualified. If you have any questions, suggestions or concerns please don't hesitate to contact me.

Mail your target, postmarked no later than May 31st, to:
Marc Smith
1900 Parkway Drive
Casper, WY 82609
Attn: May Target

If you don’t mind sharing I would also like to know what you’re shooting. Include type of firearm, caliber, ball diameter, patch thickness, lube, powder type and grains used, barrel length and twist rate. This isn’t required I’m just the curious sort.

Thanks for shooting and Godspeed ladies & gentleman!!
MSmith

Attachments

• May Target.pdf
    590.7 KB · Views: 300
Got mine shot. I was really excited thinking I had nailed two circles....then I walked up to discover they were spades, not holes. Very sad. Oh well, at least I didnt stick a dryball. Headed out in the mail asap.
20210505_210909.jpg

Got mine shot. I was really excited thinking I had nailed two circles....then I walked up to discover they were spades, not holes. Very sad. Oh well, at least I didnt stick a dryball. Headed out in the mail asap.
Hey Winchester 97, It looks like if you had taken all those shots at one point of aim the group would have been tight as a tourniquet! I wonder if your windage and elevation could use a touch, or do you think you pushed them? I mean that's really some incredible shooting by the look of it.
You've inspired me to ask my wife what the hell is wrong with the printer.
Are you guys printing these off on standard letter size paper?
You folks mind if I join the shoot?

Hey Winchester 97, It looks like if you had taken all those shots at one point of aim the group would have been tight as a tourniquet! I wonder if your windage and elevation could use a touch, or do you think you pushed them? I mean that's really some incredible shooting by the look of it.
Haha,I wish it was just the windage, unfortunantly I pulled every shot to the same point somehow. I have a heck of a time offhand. Off a rest, a tree,fencepost or my knee that rifle will stack them right to point of aim. This is good practice for me, and I'm sure you would enjoy it too.

I print mine on standard letter size, and by all means join us!

At least you're awfully consistent with your pulls Winchester! lol

I'll try getting one printed and shot at this week. Sounds like I can do one each for pistol and long gun. I've got the front sight off my rifle atm. I'll have to get that back together.

I'm in.

Will mail it early next week. Bit breezy, took the King & Queen to get the windage figured out. Not bad after that. This is 50 grains Triple 7, .490 lead ball, .015 patch. Pedersoli Frontier .50. 39" barrel. 25 yds off hand. That barrel is tough to keep steady in the wind for sure. Have to pick you moments. I really like the set trigger for that cuz when it's time to shoot, it's instant. I have to keep reminding myself to hold after I shoot though. I am too quick to move the rifle quite often. Bad habit. This was a fun target to shoot though.
May 13 2021 ML Shoot 25 yds off hand.jpg
May 13 2021.jpg
Thanks for hosting this little shootin' match!
RR

Will mail it early next week. Bit breezy, took the King & Queen to get the windage figured out. Not bad after that. This is 50 grains Triple 7, .490 lead ball, .015 patch. Pedersoli Frontier .50. 39" barrel. 25 yds off hand. That barrel is tough to keep steady in the wind for sure. Have to pick you moments. I really like the set trigger for that cuz when it's time to shoot, it's instant. I have to keep reminding myself to hold after I shoot though. I am too quick to move the rifle quite often. Bad habit. This was a fun target to shoot though.
View attachment 77148
View attachment 77149
Thanks for hosting this little shootin' match!
RR
Nice shooting there!

I printed and shot mine today as well, but owing to an injured rib cage (injured last week playing softball with the grandkids; re-injured this AM at the gym), I was unable to shoot off-hand. I'll post two targets, but ask that they not be targets of record for this match.

Some comments about my .50 cal. Lyman/Investarms GPR (cap lock): Last month I swapped out the primitive sight for the adjustable [buckhorn] one and was pleased with how much easier it was to use...on normal targets. On playing cards, it was good, but a circular target would have been its forte. Second, the new nipple I installed eliminated the blowback I was getting and maybe enhanced accuracy as well. Third, I also experimented with a .495" RB that I cast from a Lee mould (.497" in fact) with some .012" tightly woven material that I purchased fro Jo Ann Fabrics for another project. Although accuracy was good (I used them today), it really was no better than that obtained with a .490" RB (RCBS mould; .492" in fact) with a .18" pillow ticking patch. That testing was done @ 50 yd. last month. All I got with the tighter ball/patch combination was harder starting, which didn't help my injured rib cage.

Btw, there's a third target, but looking at it I'm reminded of Kenny Rogers' words from "The Gambler": "You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em...."

"Technical" stuff for Marc: Lyman/Investarms GPR, .50cal. .495" RB (home cast) + .012" pocket drill (?) patches. Powder charge was 50gr. GOEX/Graf's. Patch lube was 1 Ballistol : 6 water. I didn't swab between shots.

Attachments

• IMG_6406.jpeg
    IMG_6406.jpeg
    174.4 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_6408.jpeg
    IMG_6408.jpeg
    173.6 KB · Views: 79
I shot pistol this month.
T/C Patriot
.440 Hornady RB-PT patch
30 G of Goex FFF
001.jpg

I plan to get out next week and shoot rifle for this months contest. I will hold this target until I shoot my long gun.

30 grains gives a proper boot to this pistol.

Latest posts

Back