• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

maximum hardness

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What does "Full Bore" muzzleloading bullet mean? Full Power?

If the bullet needs to obturate, as in minnie ball, pure lead.

If you're driving it fast with lots of powder, the lead needs to be harder, so it won't shoot past the rifling.

A conical/maxi/REAL bullet needs to be soft enough to take the rifling as it's being forced into the muzzle. Yet hard enough to not shoot past the rifling.

Faster twist rifles need harder bullets than slower twist rifles. Again, so they can't shoot past the rifling.

What kind of muzzleloader are you referring to?

Last edited:
I made the mistake of using some a wee bit big and a lot to hard once in a rifle. I prefer either pure lead or a caliber smaller. I have a ton of wheel weights both stick on and clamp on. I’m not really particular about keeping a separate pot for each. So when I cast sticking there is a little residue left

I’ve used pure lead conicals for years with no complaints. No excuses bullets, Idaho Lewis’s I bullet and my home cast Lyman Plains bullets. However this year I’m trying some 1/40 alloy. 1 part tin to 40 parts pure lead. Ive got the bullets poured of each to experiment but have not shot them yet.
Idaho Lewis said his favorite for accuracy and to hold the conical in place while hunting by engaging the rifling all the way down was a 1/40. I’m saving some milk jugs to check penetration differences vs pure lead as well. Not very scientific I know but should be fun.
Hopefully I didn’t misquote Lewis it’s been a while since I read his post regarding this.

Last edited:
What does "Full Bore" muzzleloading bullet mean? Full Power?

If the bullet needs it to obturate, as in minnie ball, pure lead.

If you're driving it fast with lots of powder, the lead needs to be harder, so it won't shoot past the rifling.

A conical/maxi/REAL bullet needs to be soft enough to take the rifling as it it's being forced into the muzzle. Yet hard enough to not shoot past the rifling.

What kind of muzzleloader are you referring to?
Full bore is a term modern bullet makers are using more and more that basically means a bore size bullet with no sabot to engage the rifling.

The reason I'm asking is there is a guy on the sister site that asked if I would cast some .54 cal bullets for him if he bought the mould. He wants to use them for elk and wants penetration and to break shoulder! I told him that I would cast some with pure lead and with a 40:1 alloy. He asked about a 30:1 alloy and I told him if he wanted me to I would but he likely would have a hard time loading them if he could at all. I think I'll tell him if he wants the 30:1 alloy he better bring a coated steel rod and hammer along to get it down the bore.

The reason I'm asking is there is a guy on the sister site that asked if I would cast some .54 cal bullets for him if he bought the mould. He wants to use them for elk and wants penetration and to break shoulder! I told him that I would cast some with pure lead and with a 40:1 alloy. He asked about a 30:1 alloy and I told him if he wanted me to I would but he likely would have a hard time loading them if he could at all. I think I'll tell him if he wants the 30:1 alloy he better bring a coated steel rod and hammer along to get it down the bore.
What is the weight of a .54 bullet? 400-450 grains? The kinetic energy alone may get the job done.

I wouldn't use pure lead. It may just go splat against tough hide and hard bone.

I would use some tin for mold fill out/bullet definition.

Back