• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Maxi or minie

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buickmarti

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Bought a 50 cap lock with a 1:56 twist. Should I stick with Round ball or can I go with a bullet?
Is so what loads easier minie or maxi?

From what I have read, a shorter bullet might work alright in a slower twist barrel. Someone gave me some tc maxi hunters to try out in my 45 caliber rifle. I have yet to see how they fly, next time out to the range, I will find out.

70" plus twist works for minies in a .58.
Maybe 56" will work for you in a .50.
The next part could be tough, figgerin' out how to make your minie behave in your rifling.
If it's deep rifling you'll likely find a rather narrow sweet spot if there is one.

I had a TC long ago and it had a 1 in 48" twist. It shot the big maxi ball and round ball the same. Very accurate but the stock never fit me so I sold it and built a Hawken. I think TC changed the rifling and newer ones gave me fits when friends brought them. The easy start muzzle was the worst.

Shorter bullets should be best. Depending on depth of rifling, you may need a wad or other material below the bullet to stop gas cutting. Only experimentation will give you the answer.

I know Track of the Wolf sells a ‘ball-et’ I don’t know if they are available any where else. Only about 20% heavier then a ball, should work well for you, I’d give it a try anyway

Want to try some distance shooting and just thought a slug would work better.
How "distant"?
My .45 caliber CVA "Kentucky" rifle (1:66 twist) was a tack driver out to 110 yards with PRB.
110 yards was the maximum distance at the rifle range range I shot at.
There were no other gun ranges with-in a few hundred miles that I knew of, anyway.

buickmarti,
If you try out a minie please do post how it worked out, how deep your rifling is, all that good stuff.

The REAL conical from Lee precision comes in two weights per caliber. A lighter (shorter) one for slower twist and a heavier (longer) one for fast twist.
I sold my 50 caliber REAL mold, but they can still be found. Try brass pro or cabelas.

Many find an Overpowder wad improves accuracy with a REAL.

Minie balls are easy to load, but depend on several factors. They must fit very snug in the barrel, the riflings need to be shallow for best performance. And the weight needs to match the twist.

Bottom line, minies are TOUGH to get good accuracy from a barrel NOT made for minies, IMHO.

Good luck and report your findings please.

Back