• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Maxi Ball Specifications: Length

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello, I have a .54 Green Mountain Barrel with a 1 in 66" twist. I am interested in trying Maxi Balls in it. Can anyone tell me the length of the .54 Maxi, so I can use the Greenhill formula to calculate if it will stabilize in my rifle? Thanks!

Don’t know the specs or what a ‘Greenhill Formula’ is but they shot great in my 54cal Lyman Great Plains rifle.

Glad to hear that. Isn't that barrel a fast twist, like 1 in 28"? Mine is a 1 in 66". Thanks!

No sir. The Great Plains Rifle has the same roundball twist as your Green Mountain barrel. The Great Plains Hunter is the one that has the fast twist barrel.

Hello, I have a .54 Green Mountain Barrel with a 1 in 66" twist. I am interested in trying Maxi Balls in it. Can anyone tell me the length of the .54 Maxi, so I can use the Greenhill formula to calculate if it will stabilize in my rifle? Thanks!

Greenhill might not help you much. The lube grooves are so big that the weight is reduced. That'll throw off assumptions made in a Greenhill calculation. The bullet shortens in order to perform its proper functions so that might throw off the calculations depending upon how hard you slap its behind. If you can find some give them a try. Try at short range and long. The dispersion will probably not be the same minute of angle.

Maxi-Balls are not likely to stabilize in a 66 twist. They were intended for use in 48 twist. Go shoot them & see! Then let us know! That would be more fun than doing a math equation.

If you have the mould and the Maxis, I'd just try it, with an over powder wad of some kind: w5 yd. at first; 50 yd. later. You'll know right quick whether it works in your bbl.

Back