• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Max. temperature of BP revolver barrels?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a Pietta 1851 Navy barrel that I drilled through (by mistake) and mounted a new front sight on using 60/40 soft solder. So far, 50 rounds later, all is fine. But it leads me to wonder what the barrel temp might reach during rapid fire keeping in mind that we only have to be concerned with 6 shots. I think muzzle flash temps are around 3000F and the solder melts at about 360F so I'm wondering how close the barrel temp gets to the solder melting point. Even though it is hot 'n humid already here in Fl., this may be a good excuse to go shooting. Maybe my heat temp gun will give me a good reading. And I can't leave the house without the Walker!

the solder melts at about 360F so I'm wondering how close the barrel temp gets to the solder melting point.
Not close enough to melt the solder. Solder is used all the time to hold sights and lugs to barrels. If you are really worried about it, check the temperature with an infrared thermometer.

I have a Pietta 1851 Navy barrel that I drilled through (by mistake) and mounted a new front sight on using 60/40 soft solder. So far, 50 rounds later, all is fine. But it leads me to wonder what the barrel temp might reach during rapid fire keeping in mind that we only have to be concerned with 6 shots. I think muzzle flash temps are around 3000F and the solder melts at about 360F so I'm wondering how close the barrel temp gets to the solder melting point. Even though it is hot 'n humid already here in Fl., this may be a good excuse to go shooting. Maybe my heat temp gun will give me a good reading. And I can't leave the house without the Walker!
Not to worry Ed, You cannot reload and fire a percussion gun fast enough to even approach the melt temperature of lead/tin solder( 621 ) degrees.

Back