• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Max recommended load for 12g Colerain?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My turkey flintlock is 12 ga, with a 30” barrel, full choke. I‘ve killed gobblers at 40 yards with #6 shot, 90 grains 2F, and a hundred grain measure of shot. I use 2 - 1/8” hard card wads over powder, and 1 more over shot.

I also use 90 grains Goex 2F and 100 grains of bismuth shot (#4) modified choke, for turkeys and ducks and it works

I am going to try some #3 and #6 bismuth on game birds this year.

I use a TC New Englander cap lock 12 g.

12g i use equal powder, equal shot by measure . 1 1/8 of 2f & 1 1/8 of #7 shot. Good enough for State, National & International trophies. I use exactly the same load for BP cartridge with modern straight wall cases then ditch the cases in the bin, a once only use

OK well the way that is written, you've just told the new shooters to use 1.125 [ounces] of 2F powder, or 492 grains, and 1.125 ounces of shot. o_O

Now I know that's not what you meant. ;)

I think you mean the measure was set to throw 1.125 ounces of lead, and you use the same setting when you measure your powder.

LD

Question Why maximum loads the standard load is 2.3/4 drms of FFFg {27.5grains = 1 drm } to 1.1/8 oz of shot , adjust the size of shot depending on the type of game , pheasant , partridge 6 or 7 . .You mentioned turkey although I have never shot turkey I would use shot size 4 or 5 or maybe 3 but some may disagree .
Feltwad

@ Feltwad

Because 75grs (2 3/4 dram) of ffg behind 1 1/8 oz of any size or composition shot is iffy on the larger game birds. Pheasant, grouse, dove, Hungarian partridge, crow, smaller ducks, quail are much easier to incapacitate and kill than geese, the larger ducks and turkey.

We have to use non toxic shot on waterfowl and many localities are mandating nontox for EVERYTHING. Steel shot is very low density and loses energy and momentum fast. Tungsten can be denser than lead but can be brutal to barrels. Worse than steel. Bismuth is a nice compromise.

If I recall you are from England. Not sure how much goose hunting goes on over there. Giant or greater Canada geese can weigh 15# +/- and are tough. They also can fly upwards of 70 mph. They cruise at 25 to 40 mph. The shotgun load that would fold a pheasant 100% of the time would do poorly on geese.

Mature Tom Turkey weigh 15 to 30# depending on sub species and diet. Very tough birds. Body shots are not taken due to feather deflecting pellets. The head and neck are the kill zone. This makes for a very small target at 20-40 yards.

Large ducks, all geese and turkeys make for a different hunting scenario than flushing pheasant or partridge with a good dog.

@ Feltwad

Because 75grs (2 3/4 dram) of ffg behind 1 1/8 oz of any size or composition shot is iffy on the larger game birds. Pheasant, grouse, dove, Hungarian partridge, crow, smaller ducks, quail are much easier to incapacitate and kill than geese, the larger ducks and turkey.

We have to use non toxic shot on waterfowl and many localities are mandating nontox for EVERYTHING. Steel shot is very low density and loses energy and momentum fast. Tungsten can be denser than lead but can be brutal to barrels. Worse than steel. Bismuth is a nice compromise.

If I recall you are from England. Not sure how much goose hunting goes on over there. Giant or greater Canada geese can weigh 15# +/- and are tough. They also can fly upwards of 70 mph. They cruise at 25 to 40 mph. The shotgun load that would fold a pheasant 100% of the time would do poorly on geese.

Mature Tom Turkey weigh 15 to 30# depending on sub species and diet. Very tough birds. Body shots are not taken due to feather deflecting pellets. The head and neck are the kill zone. This makes for a very small target at 20-40 yards.

Large ducks, all geese and turkeys make for a different hunting scenario than flushing pheasant or partridge with a good dog.
If you know why ask just carry on
Feltwad

@Feltwad

I was not asking about max recommended loads for specific game birds. I was asking about max recommended loads in the interest of safety concerning the barrel. A few, you included, questioned the need for heavy loads afield. That's how the thread took a turn down the current path it's on.

@Feltwad

I was not asking about max recommended loads for specific game birds. I was asking about max recommended loads in the interest of safety concerning the barrel. A few, you included, questioned the need for heavy loads afield. That's how the thread took a turn down the current path it's on.
Then word it better and not like a learner wanting information just carry on
Feltwad:dunno:

So I've got this Fowler coming POSSIBLY tomorrow, at the very least by the weekend. It has a 46" long octagon to round Colerain 12 guage barrel (that I assume is cylinder bore). I know the barrel steel is 12L14. I DON'T want this thread to turn into a modern ordnance steel vs 12L14 steel safety sillyness thread. That said 12L14 is not as tolerant of mistakes and overloading as other more modern steels commonly used in firearms.

What would be a prudent maximum load of Goex ffg and lead shot? If someone does not want to publicly post their opinion, PM me please. Thanks.
I am not sure of your load as I shoot a 10 gauge double. Just want to say to give whatever you shoot plenty of lead. Gonna take a few minutes for the shot to leave the barrel. (chuckle)

@Feltwad

Go back and read my original post. And quite frankly you are rude. And it's not the first time you've been rude to others on this forum.

You asked for a 12 bore load which I advised and you mentioned Turkeys which to me are game loads has for been rude for given advice seems to be common in these forums I then apologise
Cheers :thumb:
Feltwad

Respectfully, the best patterns are not going to be had with any max charge in a BP shotgun. Much over 75gr, the pattern will blow with most loads, maybe even skychiefs. I’ve tried 90 gr during load development, and the recoil is ugly. I wouldn’t recommend more without a good pad and a lot of powder in reserve because you’re going to waste a lot learning that Bush was correct... Less is more.

I run 70gr FFg, card, lubed felt, card, 1 1/8oz bismuth #4/5 for no-tox pheasant, and overshot card. Patterns at 25yards are fantastic and at 40 start getting a bit thin... but my dog runs down cripples very well. I have steel wads that fit my gun that I can use Hevishot for.

Back