• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

max load in an Indy smoothbore .62 cal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
happy holidays all.

like the title says........what is the max load to push out of this pistol using 2FG?

I already know the standard 30 and 35 gr. are okay with a round ball. I think 40 would be reasonable.

another question would be......can you push this even more if you load an 11/16th Oz load of shot comparable to a .410 load?

so just to be clear we're talking about two different things:

round ball powder maximums

shot load powder maximums

thanks for any thoughts on this and real, known, tested info.

camo

Last edited:
An ounce of lead is an ounce of lead whether it’s in roundball form or shot. In a pistol with a short barrel larger than 35-40 grains of powder is just wasting powder in my opinion. You’ll not get much more muzzle velocity if you doubled the powder charge. The law of diminishing returns applies.

An ounce of lead is an ounce of lead whether it’s in roundball form or shot. In a pistol with a short barrel larger than 35-40 grains of powder is just wasting powder in my opinion. You’ll not get much more muzzle velocity if you doubled the powder charge. The law of diminishing returns applies.
thanks so 40 might be okay to test out then?

guess I should have specified that mine is a 9 inch barrel.

camo

If your wanting to try shot such at #6 or 7.5 or 8s I’d try 7/8oz shot and 40 grains of 2F. With either roundball or shot don’t get your expectations very high past ten yards for any sort of accuracy with a smoothbore pistol. Those are close distance combat firearms not target pistols.

I would like to stretch to 15 yards with dillegent practice.

either way, test trials will let me know if that's possible or not.

all this info is confusing to me. I've spent a stupid amount of time researching through all of the threads in the handgun section to get an idea of possibilities.

ranges anywhere from grim outlook of ten yards........to others claiming 20 to 30 yard accuracy.

8 inch dot will be my testing acceptable target.

camo

happy holidays all.

like the title says........what is the max load to push out of this pistol using 2FG?

I already know the standard 30 and 35 gr. are okay with a round ball. I think 40 would be reasonable.

another question would be......can you push this even more if you load an 11/16th Oz load of shot comparable to a .410 load?

camo
happy holidays all.

camo

By “ Indy “ do you mean made in India?
Indy is the abbreviation of a town in Indiana.

You hit the tack on the head. Semper Fi.

Was wondering how it turned out for you shooting shot out of your pistol? I run into spruce hens quite a bit while hunting and having something to put a few in the pot would be nice........

Latest posts

Back