• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Matchlock Shooters?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
question, if they were made to be fired from the chest why do they have a rear and front site? kinda dumb?

Toot,

Yes and no to your question about chest and sighting.
I never have made a petronel, so must go off others comments, but a gun could be held/braced against the upper chest could still align the sights (tube rear sight as you found in your case!) with the eye.
I'd need to see your petronel, as some have a very long and deep curve to them, so using in this manner would be no problem. (If that Is how they were held)
Pity I'd have to mess with uploading a photo to my image hosting site, Then here, so it won't happen tonight, but maybe I can get one up showing what I mean fairly soon.
You have been using a matchlock a long time Toot, so you can't 'blame ' me for it! LOL!

Re this thread, Matchlock shooters?;

Built my first decades ago. Was inspired by a wild mate from Sheffield originally, who built archaic guns and chased goats up and down the Nelson Range of Kiwiland with them. He said for reliability, the palm must ever go to the matchlock, so I Had to make one!
It was a fish-tailed stock type, with inlays in the English/German/Dutch fashion.
Got a mule deer buck with it that first season, at about 85 yards. Smooth 20 bore barrel, Length of hunt was about 18 inches of matchcord.
My a bit wild pal is a certain Maurice Taylor. He came over this year to out annual shoot we host on the farm here in Alberta in June.

PUKKA BUNDOOK, yes, thank you I pulled it out and held it high up on/against my breast and it sure work's. kind of unorthodox. but works just the same. my piece of s---t lap top will not let me copy pictures to post.that is why when i shot it i had to rely lean over on to the stock so far.

Back