• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Matchlock Shooters?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Any matchlock musketeers out there?

I have been thinking of picking up a matchlock musket from Veteran Arms:

shapeimage_1.png

http://www.veteranarms.com/ReproductionMuzzleloadersandFlintlocks/Matchlock.html

They seem pretty cool. Does anyone know the quality of Veteran Arms? Will this musket blow up and kill me, or is it safe to shoot with live rounds? Does anyone on here shoot matchlocks? Can you hunt deer or hogs with them? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Very cool! Can you please describe the quality of your arquebus? Is it well made, have you had any issues or breakages with it? Any input on these Veteran Arms guns would be most welcome before I decide to purchase one. Thanks!

It's an Indian made gun so it's not going to be a nice as a custom built gun. But it's still built just fine, only a couple of minor issues.

A washer that's supposed to be locked onto the jaw screw was missing, so turning the screw doesn't open/close the jaws, it just screws in and out. But I found that using the diameter of match cord that fits the jaws works great, it's tight enough to hold. I just slide the match in between the jaws and shoot it. So it didn't really matter, no need to adjust the jaws.

Also the rod tip came off and I lost it. I'm trying to find a suitable replacement.

Other than that, it's good. Fast ignition, fun to shoot.

I'd recommend that you go to Leonard Day in Easthampton Mass. I have one of his matchlocks. It is simple but well made and well balanced. I have won a few competitions with it. It has a trigger rather than a lever, which I consider a great improvement.

That Veteran's Arms matchlock you pictured is in the style of the heavy arquebuses - 12 bore and nose heavy. Mr. Day makes his in 20 bore (.62) and I found him a .54 barrel for mine. Much easier on the shoulder and the left arm.

You should be able to get one for under a grand and it is totally worth it.

Earl:

I'd also recommend Leonard Day. The .62 Arquebuses were not uncommon at the time. Just not as popular when armor became heavier during the 1500's.

I have several Matchlocks and Handgonnes from custom makers only. I have not heard good stuff about the Indian made arms.

Good luck on what you do decide.

Slowmatch Forever!
Teleoceras

While early guns tended to use large calibers- there were some smaller ones. While researching Petronel's (16th century matchlock with a curved stock) I ran across a few in the 40-50 "ish" calibur range

Good to see you post again Teleoceras, think of you often. Keep your powder dry! :wink:

A Petronel was an early form of firearm with a curved stock meant to be fired by holding it against the chest. They look like long barreled pistols. They were popular with French adventurers as seen in the Charlesfort/Ft. Caroline drawings from Jacques LeMoyne circa 1565.

Hello Flint,

Had trouble logging in under my old name, so tried my Original name and it works now, LOL!
Is that your petronel?
Looks a nice build.
Stock a bit straighter than some, but a nice looking job.
Toot,
Nice to 'see ' you here. :)
A petronel could have a long barrel. many were a lot longer than a carbine.
The Viking -Sword site, (European section) has many and varied matchlocks as mentioned above.
"Matchlock" of that site was a good friend, very sadly missed!

PUKKA BUNDOOK, yes i'm here, you got me hooked. I rely love matchlocks, I have a PERTRONEL in a rifled 60 something caliber and thought what I had was a carbine? it has a small round tube on the rear of the barrel and i thought it was for holding the slow match, didn't know it was a rear sight, boy was I a dummy! oh well it is all good.

Back