• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Matchlock Revolver

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Pretty neat.

He says he thinks the length of the cylinder is for large powder charges. Having shot revolving BP long guns, I think it is more to give a forearm holding point behind the front of the cylinder for obvious reasons.

Sam Colt visited India

I would bet it rather functions as a large forcing cone ... to ease the transition from the cylinder to the barrel.

Here’s one made for the King of France, albeit a flintlock version:

D120F2A8-E349-4827-93FD-E6B68E42F25A.jpeg

C435C405-3DB5-4BDB-8CE6-81D956793C80.jpeg

Pretty neat.

He says he thinks the length of the cylinder is for large powder charges. Having shot revolving BP long guns, I think it is more to give a forearm holding point behind the front of the cylinder for obvious reasons.

Sam Colt visited India

Revolving firearms are one of those niche types where matchlocks seem to have been the better choice than flintlocks ... you don't need to have a bunch of frizzens sticking out all over the gun like the example posted above (yes I'm aware of Colliers, but those seem to have been a relatively late and complicated exception).

The Royal Armouries in Leeds has some other examples (also Indian) if you're interested: Royal Armouries collections

As you can see these guns were being produced into the 1800s. Matchlocks in general held out a lot longer in Asia than Europe.

Last edited:
Ian has a great you tube channel. Mostly unmentionable firearms, but he occasionally delves into the world of black powder.

Tim,

In India, vast areas have no stone suitable to be used as a flint, so the matchlock held on right up to modern times.
I've found a long but Very light Rajput matchlock quite handy for use against pests around the farm. Loaded with shot of course.

A good point. I'd also add that India had a lot of remote frontier regions (Himalayas, Afghanistan, and such) where you often weren't fighting anyone armed with anything more complex than a matchlock, so the push for technological improvement was not as strong in those areas. When the Brits showed up in force to those places they found locals still happy to fire away with a design that had already faded out in Europe generations earlier. The same was true of Tibet, where the Brits faced guys armed with matchlocks as late as the invasion of 1903-04.

Ian has a great you tube channel. Mostly unmentionable firearms, but he occasionally delves into the world of black powder.

I think most of our everyday muzzle-loaders are too simple for him. He seems to love the wacky steampunk-esque stuff, much of which came about in the early days of automatics (looking at you, C93 Borchardt). And when he does dip back into the heyday of muzzle-loading, he's often there to look at early breechloaders, unitary cartridges, etc. Still a great channel.

It's interesting how long the matchlock's use continued in India. And for various reasons. Here is a good example of their reluctance to not completely let go of their trusted matchlocks.
This musket is from the Coorg region of South India. It is duel ignition, both flintlock and matchlock. It has two separate triggers. The serpentine for the matchlock portion will twist to the right to line up with the pan when in use.

Rick
001 (Medium).JPG
009 (Medium).JPG
016 (Medium).JPG
012 (Medium).JPG

My homemade matchlock I made as a teenager never misfired. Although I was too dumb to wear a hat, singed my forehead. Too much priming powder, my dad thought I was an idiot, since I owned a modern 22....

Neat stuff in anyone's language .
Numbers of Irreguller 'Sowar' \ cavalry on the North West Fronteir Defending that ' Prickly & un trimmed hedge .'

comprised matchlock fireing from the saddle giving a lie to the oft quoted myth that matchlocks where ill suited to horsemen,s needs . We all know this is true but the Sowars evidently didn't know this so acted as very capable cavalry.' Skinners Horse ' being often illustrated but there where many such irregular units . Later adopting private purchase percussion carbine' s single or double
as in the case of Jacob's ' Scinde |rregullar Horse '
Rudyard

@Rudyard Cavalry in Qing-dynasty China were known to use matchlocks as well. Leave it to the Mongolians to find a way of making it work on horseback ... I think if you gave those guys cannons they'd still find a way to fire from the saddle :p

Below is an interesting listing for a Qing dynasty cavalry matchlock from the Opium Wars period. An excerpt from the description text reads:
https://www.mandarinmansion.com/item/chinese-cavalry-matchlock
D.F. Rennie, a doctor with the British troops, described the Qing musketeers he saw in action to carry out their routines "with wonderful celerity and expertness", even on horseback. When he saw Qing mounted musketeers in action in 1860 who while retreating in a full gallop were nevertheless able to: "turn around, fire off their pieces, and reload as they galloped away".

My barrel was a 50 caliber smooth bore bought from Dixie gun works for the sum of $25. Belgian surplus I think. It was fine.

Watching maybe Nat Geo in early 1960's. Some Asian man was after something like a wild goat across the valley. Took him out, no struggling, with his matchlock. Appeared to be his regular hunting gun.

And Timuni, when I shot my sear-bar matchlock in the 1970's I had full confidence that any time a source of fire is around black powder, there's sure to be an explosion somewhere.

The same was true of Tibet, where the Brits faced guys armed with matchlocks as late as the invasion of 1903-04.
They particularly faced many heavy Jinghals but the Tibetans were quite well aware of the obsolescence of their arms and were not only importing some breechloaders but were making Martini Henry copies and their ammunition in Lhasa at the time.

Dear Timumi. I had in an earlier post written' I would jump over a pile of Hawkens (Or some such affair ) just to get to one Mongolian matchlock ' . I was being both sincere and jocular as I've never seen a Mongolian matchlock . But Thank you for your information and the fresh insites you bring to the Forum .Good on you .
I have made numbers of matchlocks in great variety and am currently knocking up a ML Petronel as much to do a bit of ' living history' to try see how practicle such an arm could be rather than any especial need .. You' think outside of the box' I admire that , I think I do much the same
.Regards Rudyard
Not to forget Raedwald s contributions nearest I got to Tibet was Kathmandu but plenty of ex pat Tibetans there . R

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back