• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Matchlock Range test

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice clean looking build, Kruzer1!
Thanks for showing it to us.

Yes, the short barrels were a fashion in around the 1520's . This fashion of short and square , went over into men's clothing, furniture, chimney pots and even candlesticks!
As stated above, the guns of the Lansknechts were usually of this type (at that time )
I am particularly fond of these short wee guns, and one of Michael's guns, now sadly sold out of his collection, was the passion behind my 'recent' " Snapping Matchlock" build! I am so pleased to see another "shorty " here Kruzer. :)

Have taken him hunting recently, but no joy yet!

All best,
Richard.

I've seen on various videos that matchlocks seem to have a very quick ignition, is this true/wrong? Nor necessarily a snap-lock, but I can't remember. No delay for the mechanics of the flintlock, which is a helluva lot more convenient. About like a caplock ignition. Is this wrong?

I've seen on various videos that matchlocks seem to have a very quick ignition, is this true/wrong? Nor necessarily a snap-lock, but I can't remember. No delay for the mechanics of the flintlock, which is a helluva lot more convenient. About like a caplock ignition. Is this wrong?

I finished building a Leonard Day matchlock kit about a month ago. I only test fired it twice so far. I hit a 16" steel target at 40 yards both times. I found the action smooth and the ignition very quick with no noticeable delay. In my experience when a flintlock is tuned properly the ignition is almost instantaneous. I often bird hunt with an original Westley Richards flintlock side-by-side and feel no disadvantage re: a cartridge gun because of the quickness of ignition.

Beautiful job on that hacabuche! Now you can work up a load just like any other 62 smoothie.

Recommendation, especially if the ground is dry: To keep from losing your match, tie the unlit end around your left forearm and hook the lit end between the pinkie and ring finger of your left hand, sticking out like a cigarette. If you are into situational awareness, that's where it stays while you handle powder with your right hand. Once loaded (the gun, not you), pull out a foot or so of match and place it in the serpentine.

If you don't want to be so reliant on situational awareness, make a brass, copper, or steel match case for your left hip. I made one out of a scrap length of 1 1/2" copper pipe and a couple of end caps.

Happy shooting, and welcome to the Trayned Bande!

The Exercise of Armes by Jacob de Gheyn is very much worth reading with regard to handling a matchlock. I was impressed by the emphasis on safety. The illustrations clearly show how the match was held and set in the cock.

Yes, they are faster than a percussion gun, instant ignition, at the speed of the gas explosion.

If you work up a good load for it your matchlock can compete with flintlocks and caplocks. The zero lock time is such an advantage that German target shooters retained the system into the early 18th century. On a good day my Len Day matchlock smoothbore can do this for me:

Cut card in hat.JPG

Important note: The card wasn't in my hatband when I shot at it.

Matchlocks of any sort are interesting and I have made many if mostly for target shooting specifically M L A I C International shooting .I would like to tell you I am a' virtuoso on the concert Arquebuss' .Because it sounds good . But Ime not !. However I have qualified as of right but never got into the fuss and natty outfits of International events . Some at this level like the Japonese snap m'locks but these are mere varients of some cut down Portugees traders .Venietian made Snap M lock as further study would reveal . Its my belief that the Venetion or "Mary Rose " M locks have the best form for MLAIC events being stocked in an essensially modern manner , shoulder stock with pistol grip ,trigger where moderns expect to find them , even peep sights . A smooth 34" or so 40 cal being the best barrels if I've made some 36 cal but the balls are more fiddly and as its only a 30 minet match at 55 Yards OH or Sitting kneeling whatever you need be conscious of time and the patched ball is ill suited unless looseish its better to use a card then wetted felts and a naked ball all the better to ram easily and no recourse to wipeing between . You have enough to do tending to the match cord (useually kept inside a perforated pop can away from the loading bench ) .Some can argue the prime needn't be too fine. But I say well I know that its more apt to ignite if ground up snuff like .And the match cord needs be able to burn hot give a good coal & not burn too fast . I prefer platted macramé string rendered firmer by a rub down with wall paper paste when dry then acts like a' size' . but just pushes into the serpentine no fuss with screwing it tight . Some used dried tree fungus which I've not made guns for. But these whittled to push into the serpentine . where well suited to such matches ..Not that you are confined to Match shooting I've hunted with a 54 rifled often (There not allways smooth bored ) . The 'Mary Rose 'sank in 1545 or 6 .Her wreck recovered 20? years ago . had many such Venetion guns .hence the association .
Compliaments of the string burning season. Rudyard

You are very welcome I omitted to say that the key to accuracy is velocity .Drive the ball through the 10 ring before it remembers balls are supposed to veer off wildly . true of all smooth bores but while the 40 cal wont push you back Dont try it with a Brown Bess !. Regards Rudyard

Latest posts

Back