• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Matchlock Pistols did they exist?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The thing is that the idea of pistol/shoulder gun didn't exist at the time matchlocks were in vogue. Short gun held in one hand vs long gun held in one or two hands vs on for gun belt in two hands only. Stock shapes were just starting to evolve. In Italy short one hand guns were made with very short shoulder shaped stocks, they were far too short to shoulder. We make comparisons because it's like s o and so, we can do that with dragons and paratroopers similar concept but whole different animal.

This older thread might have some useful information: http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/290560/fromsearch/1/tp/1/

th

In general, it seems that a lot more Indian and Japanese matchlock pistols have survived than European matchlock pistols.

Last edited by a moderator:
16th century shield guns perhaps. They were short barreled and the one in the Tower of London collection is a matchlock.

Squire Robin said:
16th century shield guns perhaps. They were short barreled and the one in the Tower of London collection is a matchlock.

Squire Robin - Can you post pictures of this matchlock shield gun? I am very curious now.

MatchlockPistolToy2_800x359_zps539b150c.jpg

MatchlockPistolToy1_477x600_zps1ace3224.jpg

Thanks for posting these matchlocks. This very crude cast matchlock with a simple external mechanism is particularly interesting since the Tower claims that many have been found. Possibly the first "Saturday night special."

I should have noted the last all brass one was actually considered a toy pistol. It was just too cute not to add to the lot! :wink:

Finding some with burst barrels makes it sound like they were meant to be fired if they could be fired. At the very least toys tend to mimic something real. I would like to see the dimensions.

Toot,
Your Q is somewhat addressed on another thread, but basically a matchlock with a barrel of medium to long form, with a sharply curved stock.
Various theories have been put forward as to how they were held. Never tried one myself, (yet)
Re pistols;
For obvious reasons, the shield pistols of Henry V111, (were there not 18 of them originally?) were breech-loaders.

Karl,

Lovely to see parts of some of "Matchlock's" old photos and threads here! He knew more than any man on this subject.

Richard.

Some bod is currently making a supersonic jet powered car to take the land speed record. When he has finished with it I think it will probably go to a collector and then a museum.
When James T Kirk visits that museum, might he assume we all had supersonic jet powered cars?
Perhaps match lock pistols create the same illusion ;)

PUKKA BUNDOOK, thank you didn't see the reply on another site to my question.

three barrel matchlock pistol.jpg

私はあなたが何を考えているか知っています。彼は3発を撃ったのか、2発しか発射しなかったのか
(Japanese for "I know what you're thinking. 'Did he fire three shots, or only two?'"

Just came across a reference to quote, "possible Jamestown matchlock pistol", on another site. Have entered various search terms in search engine and drawn a blank (no pun intended). Is anyone aware as to if said item actually exists please?

Back