• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Matchlock on the range and safety

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOL!!!! Found it on E--- Website I believe. Paid almost nothing for it. All hand made. You can find little quart size buckets at Home Depot or Lowe's. But I thought this one looked better next to the Indian Torador matchlock. Think these were maybe used for a potted plant or something (?) But it's just the right size and looks cool. LOL

Rick

When I go to the public range with my handgonne - I use a short piece of cannon fuse and a pistol grip propane torch.
I don't use the match and match holder because that leaves a burning ember on the line.
When I go to the ranch, there is still a shooting bench and I do use the match cord. I use a small brass metal stand and lay the match cord on the stand 5 or 6 feet away from the loading bench.
Because - YES - these primitive weapons are very prone to accidents and I would only display them - For demonstration time a small group well orderly oriented and safely out of reach but where they can watch would be the best way for them to see one in operation.

Never blown up as yet. When hunting I would, if expecting a shot. Carry the match between my fingers holding the butt in a slope arm fashion (.If not expecting a shot I carried a ' Pre 1840 high plains' Bic ! )But Internationals keep the match in a pop tin affixed to a post of the ranges between shots .Though on firing the match cord unless secured does tend to fly away.. Yet for all the potential hazards we shot them in public shows with out incident . Exploding jumpers ! Do tell !. Regards Rudyard
I carry several PRE HIGH PLAINES Bic's, also. you just got to love em. and when you are the only one in the woods who knows??

Guys talking about burning holes in shirts. I'm wearing a shirt right now with a burned hole. Matchlocks in wind are accidents waiting to happen. For some reason, Oregon forbids hunting with matchlocks.
So does Arkansas. I'm sure it could be done in a safe manner in certain conditions, but judging by the way many abuse what is already legal, I doubt if it will ever be allowed. Too bad.

New Zealand Native forests are Podocarps a sort of evergreen mostly & not given the take fire readily in fairly dense temperate rain forest & I've never heard of others hunting with match locks here. Most stay with the copper caps if some go with flint locks . There are NO ' special seasons' . As There are NO 'closed seasons' at all as all four legged game animals are classed as ' Noxious animals '(Bit like some polititions if these last do have closed seasons ) no bag limit, no tags no liscence .other than for the rifle( No smooth bores ) just cant spot light on D. O. C /Crown lands . With many tracks to let you walk into each area with huts various every few hours not just for hunters , tramping (hikeing) is popular. But off track can get' Narly' & the bush though neutral dos'nt take prisoners so being fit is needed . Nobody wears Red togs but you MUST identify your target . You will need to pickup a area permit its free and Maps & advice are found at DOC offices ( Department of Conservation ) If your useing your pet ML as you would . Don't confuse the DOC staff asking about muzzle loaders . So very few use them & Doc Counter staff wont want to know nor would know. But if you met a DOC ranger in the bush hes as like just to enjoy having a shot..
The advertised walks like Able Tasman, Heaphy track ect are for loopys . You want the hairy' goat track' walks . & if you do get lost & its easy I know Ive been lost enough! You might get the Local Search & Rescue . volunteers like me though I.me too knackered to join a team so I now only fund raise .But we are good at it & you can hire a beacon thing . Anyway I am not working for DOC just mention it in passing .And setting the Match Lock hunting into context.
Regards Rudyard

I had never even thought about a matchlock being more hazardous than any other form of ignition, just hold your lit match where the powder isn't and all will be well.
Yes, It Does seem that we get more holes burned in clothes with a matchlock.
One advantage to a matchlock, is that holding the match in the palm of your hand does help keep that hand warm in V cold weather. :)

I think for range shooting, a an iron rod with a plier -type of arrangement at the top, stuck in the ground on the firing -line would be an idea.
The form of pliers to be the same as those for holding a rush light.
Mind, I have never shot on a proper range in my life, so it may not be approved!
Rush_light_holder_as372a314z.jpg

Last edited:
Back