• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Matchlock cord not igniting powder?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey everyone I recently acquired a 17th century fishtail matchlock, but I'm struggling to get the match cord to ignite the powder. It's a slow burn match from Dixie gun works I believe but when I lower the burning match to the powder it doesn't ignite most of the time it puts the match out. I switched to 4f goex powder in the pan but still no luck. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Hey everyone I recently acquired a 17th century fishtail matchlock, but I'm struggling to get the match cord to ignite the powder. It's a slow burn match from Dixie gun works I believe but when I lower the burning match to the powder it doesn't ignite most of the time it puts the match out. I switched to 4f goex powder in the pan but still no luck. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
Resoak the match in stump remover broth and let dry. Or make your own from pure cotton rope.

Does the match form a good 'head' on it whilst burning? Can you post a picture?

Do you blow on the head PRIOR to loading the match? And after loading the match into the serpentine, do you (with the pan cover CLOSED!) blow ACROSS the breech again to put a good head on the burning cord before firing?

TIP - Without a loaded arm or burning cord, figure out best placement where the cord needs to be positioned to hit the center of the pan bottom. Now, close the pan cover ... and SLOWLY lower the cord to just barely touch the top of the pan cover. I bet you dollars to donuts that is NOT the center of the pan cover, as whereas the pan cover is higher than the bottom of the pan, it is likely a little more forward of the center of the pan bottom (due to the arc of the serpentine). Make note of that position ... and for matchlock newbies, I suggest putting a dot of Sharpie marker in that spot as a learning tool.

Now go load your arm, prime your arm, and light your cord. You know to BLOW OFF any stray priming powder away from the pan I hope, after you close the pan? When you go to load the matchcord, then lower it to the pan cover (that is CLOSED!) and ensure the glowing tip hits your marker spot. With time and shots down range, you'll position it best without any marker to identify the best cord position, it'll become 2nd nature ... provided you shoot often.

Otherwise, I betcha that cord you have is 'old' and has lost its ooommmmpphhhhh ... note use of the period correct technical term there :ghostly:.

Last edited:
Lots of great information on this Forum regarding matchlocks. Use the Search icon in the upper right hand corner of the Page (magnifying glass with Search next to it) with the keyword "matchlock cord". It should lead you to lots of conversation threads including "Slow Match Help".
All the best on your endeavors.

Thanks for the reply. How do you make stump remover broth?
Here's but one method ... Making Matchcord , but note, DO NOT hang it to dry, as then the elixir can run all to one end and become a 'fuse', which you don't want. I let it air dry flat on wax paper or in a large cheap tin cookie sheet or such.

Tercio,
I much prefer hemp for matchcord, in fact wont use anything but hemp, Or tinder. (fungus)
One tip, do not lower the match Slowly into the powder!
Let the serpent move slowly toward the powder, but before it disappears behind the flash fence, give the lever a quick little snap to drop the match into the priming Briskly!
Slowly into the powder may not ignite Or put out your match.

A lot of stump remover is now enzyme based instead of potassium nitrate based. A friend of mine used some and said it just smelled bad. I told him to read the package and it said "Powerful enzymes!" You can just buy potassium nitrate on eBay.

More important than that is bucking the match. That is boiling it in wood ash liquor (potash) or potassium carbonate to get the lignin out of the rope. Lignin gives the rope strength, but also forms a lot of ash, which gets in between the glowing coal and the powder. Look up "bucking" or "lignin" on this site and you'll find instructions.

Well made match should burn to a cone shaped coal on the end with little ash.

Dudadiesel has potassium nitrate, is where I purchased mine.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230304-064030_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230304-064030_Samsung Internet.jpg
    577.4 KB · Views: 0
I built a m'lock several years ago and started with Dixie match. I had the same results as you. I got some heavier brown match, I suppose it hemp? It worked so much better.

I had the same problem, I was using it on my canon. I bought salt peter ( potassium nitrate) at the pharmacy. Mixed with some water and poured on a cookie sheet, layer out the cord in it and let us soak and dry out. It produced a good hot cherry. Worked great.

IMG_8819.jpeg
IMG_8821.jpeg
What we’ve been making and using since GOEX closed up shop is a simple recipe that works great. (We do 16 demonstrations per day, 363 days a year at 2-3 rounds each plus more for special events.)
1. Line a container (we use a 2 gallon iron kettle) with cloth and fill it with hardwood ash.
2. Now fill it with water- you’ll be amazed how much it will take.
3. Let it steep anywhere from 4 hours to all day, depending on whether or not you remember that it’s there. When you remember, lift out the cloth and squeeze as much of the water back into the container as you can.
4. Throw in a coil of 12-15 fathom of natural fibre rope. We use 3/8” hemp, but cotton would probably work.
5. Let it steep anywhere from 4 hours to overnight, then hang it to dry. You can get 2 batches of matches from one container of ash tea. Three is pushing it- best to stick to 2.
Jay

Back