• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Matchlock build has started..

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sidney Smith

58 Cal.
Reaction score
Now that winter is here, and hunting seasons winding down, I've got some time. I started my Rifle Shoppe English style matchlock. The barrel channel required not much if any attention to seat the barrel. I've been inletting the breech plug and tang the past few days, and have gotten it almost home. I'll take a few pictures when I'm further along.

Having built 3 flintlocks, this build does not appear to be too difficult. The lock is going to be tricky but it's just a lever and some pivoting bars, so it shouldn't be too difficult. Since the technology of this gun is even more primitive than a flintlock, and the fact that it's a firearm in the infancy of firearms development the crude look is a good thing as I don't have to worry too much about getting fancy.

I've got all the parts for the lock, and there is plenty of reference material on the net that should allow me to get it assembled correctly. All it is are several pivoting rods, that drop the rope arm into the pan. What more does it require?

The lock is going to be tricky but it's just a lever and some pivoting bars, so it shouldn't be too difficult. Since the technology of this gun is even more primitive than a flintlock, and the fact that it's a firearm in the infancy of firearms development the crude look is a good thing as I don't have to worry too much about getting fancy.
Sidney Smith :This is my Jurgen Kralel 20 ga .615" with a 31" barrel and an aperture sight , I am unsure what date it represents , it is a lot of fun to shoot . I put the burning end of the match in a drink can with holes punched in the sides while loading, 60 gr of Goex FFg. If you would like measurements or more photos let me know
P1020042.JPGP1020047.JPGP1020043.JPGP1020056.JPGP1020064.JPGP1020068.JPGP1020070.JPGP1020069.JPGP1020073.JPGP1020074.JPG

Last edited:
Cutfinger:

Sidney Smith :This is my Jurgen Kralel 20 ga .615" with a 31" barrel and an aperture sight , I am unsure what date it represents , it is a lot of fun to shoot . I put the burning end of the match in a drink can with holes punched in the sides while loading, 60 gr of Goex FFg. If you would like measurements or more photos let me know
View attachment 114876View attachment 114877View attachment 114878View attachment 114879View attachment 114880View attachment 114881View attachment 114882View attachment 114883View attachment 114884View attachment 114885

That is a real beauty! Gotta love the Matchlocks!

View attachment 114876View attachment 114877View attachment 114878View attachment 114879View attachment 114880View attachment 114881View attachment 114882View attachment 114883View attachment 114884View attachment 114885
Love the way the serpent looks!

Latest posts

Back