• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Markwell .45 cal. Hawken info

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looking for info on a Markwell .45 cal Hawken; particularly barrel twist It looks like about 1:100, if that is possible. There is some twist.
If your comment is just that it is a piece of manure, no need to share; I've read that countless times. I think it is a fun shooter.

Never heard of it myself. Put a tight patch on your cleaning jag. Mark the ramrod and push it in. count the turns and measure the distance. 24" in and the rod turns half way around would be 1/48 which is common for Hawken rifles but not always. 1/66 is also a common twist. If you have fun shooting it, that's what counts most as long as it's safe to shoot.

Ole Markwell. Haven't heard of those since 1975. First kit I bought. Only lemon I ever had. But that is possible in anything. Ended up the barrel was a bit off center at the muzzle and required some windage. Still took many a Squirrel and varmint with it.
If I remember right 1:66 ,mine was best, it could be, with PRB.

Wide spectrum in quality. A few were actually good. Had a 45 cal Markwell Hawken, Kit cost me $55 at a discount store. the lock internal crumbled before the tenth shot. It was otherwise a nice little light weight gun. I searched for a replacement lock or parts for about a year and then traded it off. That was around 1977.

Thanks all for the input. Mooman76, I tried the tight patch and that is how I got 1:100, but maybe the patch wasn't tight enough. I'll go with bang's recollection for now. Sun City, I know from where you get your vast knowledge, so I'll put it to paper.

Thanks all for the input. Mooman76, I tried the tight patch and that is how I got 1:100, but maybe the patch wasn't tight enough. I'll go with bang's recollection for now. Sun City, I know from where you get your vast knowledge, so I'll put it to paper.
How much turn did you get?
How long is the barrel?

bang, I got a ~1/4 turn in a 26" barrel the first few times I tried. I haven't tried again since I posted this thread. There isn't much I can do anyway. My aim is to have as much fun as I can with what I got. I'l use your # until I find different. Slow twist no matter what.

Back