• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Marking Identification: New England Militia Musket

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Burke

32 Cal
Reaction score
Good afternoon,

I am looking for guidance in identifying a proof mark on my grandfather's New England Militia Musket, cal .69, C. 1830s. The rifle features a Lane and Reed, Boston lockplate and is an original flintlock rifle. I believe it is an early stylized eagle marking, a very early marking in US production. I cannot find any reference to it, and hope the community may shed some light/information. Please see the photo below. Happy Sunday.

IMG_0118.jpg

Good afternoon,

I am looking for guidance in identifying a proof mark on my grandfather's New England Militia Musket, cal .69, C. 1830s. The rifle features a Lane and Reed, Boston lockplate and is an original flintlock rifle. I believe it is an early stylized eagle marking, a very early marking in US production. I cannot find any reference to it, and hope the community may shed some light/information. Please see the photo below. Happy Sunday.

View attachment 326212
Good photo; is intriguing! Perhaps a stylized Eagle, it would seem.

Enlarged, it looks nothing like an eagle. Possibly an imported or recycled barrel with the original proof mark overstruck to obliterate.View attachment 326600

Yes it does resemble an overstruck symbol, and perhaps because it's in the vicinity of the "U.S." it was some other stamp that was misapplied to this particular musket?

LD

Please see several more photos of the rifle overall. Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_3063.jpg
    IMG_3063.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3064.jpg
    IMG_3064.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3065.jpg
    IMG_3065.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3066.jpg
    IMG_3066.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3067.jpg
    IMG_3067.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3068.jpg
    IMG_3068.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3069.jpg
    IMG_3069.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3070.jpg
    IMG_3070.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3071.jpg
    IMG_3071.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3072.jpg
    IMG_3072.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
Lane & Reed of Boston were importers. The lock is a later English commercial type, probably about 1820-30ish. The stampings are odd. I can make out what does appear to be right facing eagle super imposed over something. The eagle was facing left by 1833 and significantly skinnier. The barrel has a left side flat which are seen on French barrels. The furnishings are commercial from what is seen. The barrel appears to have been shortened due to lack of bayonet stud/front sight and abrupt way the forearm ends. You have a parts gun, that could have been a militia gun or could have been made by the various surplus houses for sell to poor westward bound immigrants.

Well it could be some sort of a re-struck monarchs cypher, these were used in Europe as proof marks

S1130022.JPG

Latest posts

Back