• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

March 2023 Postal Target

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Although the most celebrated holiday in March is St. Patty's Day on March 17, a well kept secret is that March 1 is National Peanut Butter Day! So this month we will shoot at peanut butter jars.

Shoot offhand from 25 yards with rifle or 15 yards with handgun.

10 shots for score - 5 shots into each jar and score pts in the bullseye as indicated and anywhere else on the jar or lid will score 5 pts. Remember, one half of the ball diameter must be inside the scoring ring to count the higher score.
Shoot as many times as you wish but please only post one target with pictures of target (and gear, if possible - we love to see everyone's equipment and load data!) Post jpg or pdf formats. Please write your pts scored on the target along with information on the load you used.

11th corps suggested a "side match" to shoot with the regular target - take a blank sheet of paper and cut it in half so it measures 8.5 x 5.5" Post the blank paper on the target stand and shoot 3 times (no bull or aiming point on the paper) - then measure the group size between the centers of the two farthest holes. Smallest group size will be declared the winner. Distances same as the regular target and shot offhand. Should be interesting!

Prize is same as always - bragging rights on the forum!

I will be posting February results this week.

Have fun and stay safe!

Gary

Attachments

• March 2023 Target.pdf
    3.8 MB · Views: 33
Thompson Center Hawken percussion .45
Maxi ball lubed with Maxi lube
60 grains of 3F
3 shot side match
1.173 inch C to C.
029.jpg

shot the peanut butter today. bad day mentally today so not sure i scored it right.
the bottle on the right was with a sight i have been filing on and just couldn't get it to work.
replaced it with a tiny sliver of a front sight and the results could not be better. restored my faith that i could still shoot!
tomorrow if the sun comes up, i will shoot the side shoot for group!
20230308_211551.jpg
think maybe if i keep shooting this .45 i may be get to be a fair shot.
20230308_210100.jpg

Thompson Center Hawken percussion .45
Maxi ball lubed with Maxi lube
60 grains of 3F
3 shot side match
1.173 inch C to C.
View attachment 204251
I shot this group after shooting the regular challenge. Surprised myself. First 2 shots were touching. Thought for sure I would blow the 3rd. I'll take just over one inch at 25 yards offhand any day.

well, the stars aligned, the sun shown down on me, and the birds are singing, somewhere.
i just shot the group side challenge with the .45 TVM. seems the more i shoot it the better it gets.
i should probably retire from shooting, i doubt i will ever be better than today. the temps were favorable and the combination i have seems to be working. shot this with a new flint, new batch of patches lubed with my bear fat, the new front sight, didn't blow down the barrel.
used a 6 o'clock hold on the first shot for sight picture. think i will go buy some lotto tickets what with luck like this!
20230309_110846.jpg

just wondering what are the rules for optics if there is any? Just got my navy arms mores .50 cal and its missing the front sight but has a 4x scope. I am hoping to shoot these when i go and shoot ORPS.
Thanks.

Trying to keep the playing field even as much as possible- intent is to have traditional muzzleloaders with open sights, shooting offhand. Since some members are dealing with physical limitation, I’m okay with a peep sight on the rear. This is all for fun and I don’t want to make it into any type of intense competition!

Trying to keep the playing field even as much as possible- intent is to have traditional muzzleloaders with open sights, shooting offhand. Since some members are dealing with physical limitation, I’m okay with a peep sight on the rear. This is all for fun and I don’t want to make it into any type of intense competition!
Ok awesome sounds good thanks. i will see if i can find a front sight for it.

Nice shooting Nessmuk - especially the lower target! I still have not had time to get out to shoot it - hope next week the weather will cooperate and I can find some time to get to the range.

I put new sights on my Kibler .32 and want to see how it shoots.

Back