• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

March 2021 Postal Match - 6 Shots

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm new to this but I plan to go shoot tonight after work. Is posting a pic of your target in this thread before sending it off not allowed? I'd love to see how everyone does, if y'all don't mind. That way I'll know if how bad my shooting really is and whether or not I want to send in my effort. 😬
You are welcome to post a picture of your target. That is allowed. However, it does need to be mailed in to be entered and scored in the monthly shoot.

OK, I'll show my target. (I guess I have no pride.) Shooting 1861 Springfield, original bore, original rifling; Rapine 583-455 Minié (casts about 461 gr. +/- .002 gr), sized to .578. 40 gr Goex 3X; 200 mg caffeine. (That last part was for the shooter, not the gun - big mistake just before trying to shoot for accuracy.)

I've only fired this gun once before, so I took five practice rounds from the bench at 25 yards before putting up the match target. (The center of that target is two inches diameter.) Four rounds in a one-inch group, with one inexplicable flyer. You can see the gun is much more accurate than the shooter. (Side note: It's more accurate so far than my reproductions!)

The match target is an embarrassment! I numbered the hits in the order I shot. The first was a bit of a flyer, numbers 2, 3 and 4 were better, and I knew when I pulled the trigger on both 5 and 6 just where they were going. :confused: (The caffeine had really kicked in by then - at least that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.) So, if we were back in school, my score would be 15/60 = F. ☹

Feel free to comment, criticize, laugh, etc. Like I said in my first post, I haven't done this before but I plan to do more and practice, practice, practice...

Attachments

• IMG-6516.jpg
    IMG-6516.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG-6510.jpg
    IMG-6510.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 116
I think it would be interesting to see everyone's target on this one. I think that half target might throw a few people for a loop (I know it did me!). On that one you know you should hold off to the left, but I think - at least in my case - your brain is just drawn to the center of the "circle", so that is where the shot goes - even though the "center" isn't really the center of the target, and makes it pretty darn easy to squirt a shot off the target completely. If that makes any sense.

OK, I'll show my target. (I guess I have no pride.) ...
Thanks for posting and the detailed explanation! I agree with RanchRoper that "Any day shooting is a good day. " I also also agree with jdesro that it would be interesting to see everyone's target posted here before they mail them in to be officially scored.

Honestly, you don't have any thing to be embarrassed about. For the first time out you did well. You know the rifle shoots accurately so now it's a matter of range time practice shooting offhand. I have even picked up a good tip from you. I need to add more caffeine just prior to arriving at the range. :)

Thanks for sharing!

Here's mine, shot with my Pedersoli Pennsylvania flintlock .50cal, .490 cast ball and .010" patch over 50gr 3f Goex. Warmed up by shooting 6 eggs off the top of my target holder then put up the match target. I dont shoot much paper so I really didnt know what to expect. Luck or skill, today was my birthday and i'll take either! Only had one shot get away from me but it still landed in the 5 ring. That half target was a trip, not the usual sight picture at all. I had a blast participating this month, I cant wait to see what next month brings!

Afterwards decided to celebrate my birthday by blowing out a candle, set a cupcake on the target frame, stuck a candle in it and lit it. First 2 shots, no effect, 3rd shot cut the candle in half and knocked my cupcake to the ground.....i guess my luck runneth out.

I'll drop my target in the mail monday morning.

G'night y'all
Chris

20210320_143252.jpg

RanchRoper, I had the same troubles with the wind, although it was a good bit warmer at 60deg. On more than one occasion i found myself lowering my rifle and waiting for a gust to die before taking a shot. The Pedersoli Pennsylvania gets heavy quick if it takes me more than 10 or 15 seconds to get a shot off.

Chris

Well now I'm really embarrassed. Years ago I might have been able to shoot that well with my .22 but I've got a long way to go with the BP. Thanks for posting y'all!

Kh54, in my book its all about having an excuse to go make smoke. If my gun goes off i'm happy, if i actually hit what im aiming at then I'm happier than a pig in mud. I've shot some real stinkers before and will again but i guarantee i've had just as much fun doing it.

Chris

Thanks Richard, when the first shot cut the bull in the half target I was feeling pretty good! The rest just fell into place. I couldn'tfinish ther performance though, pulled my last shot into the 5 ring.....oh well. Sad par is I've been beating myself up for that shot ever since I took it, I did everything wrong. I had the gun shoulderd for a good 30 seconds waiting for a wind gust to die so I was wobbling pretty good. I concentrated to hard on timing the wobble and the shot, jerked the trigger as a result, then flinched from fatigue and lifted my head as the priming went off. I wouldnt have been suprised if I missed entirely yet somehow it hit in a not too bad spot.

Chris

This is the last weekend of the month folks!

As of the close of business Saturday March 27, I have received targets from the following shooters along with those who have said their target(s) is in the mail but I have not received yet.

Received:
11th corps
Flinter 1977
hunter thompson
J dirt - Rifle & pistol
JEDSRO
Maven
PIGGLOVER
RanchRoper

In transit - ?:
kh54 - Rapine 583-455 Minié - Disqualified
Fly103

Marc,
Somehow i forgot to put mine in the mail, it went your way this morning.

On another note, I picked up my first flint pistol this morning, pedersoli harpers ferry. I look foward to shooting a pistol target as well next month although while i am a good rifle shot, im probably about the worst handgun shot y'all have ever seen😂.

Chris

This is the last weekend of the month folks!

As of the close of business Saturday March 27, I have received targets from the following shooters along with those who have said their target(s) is in the mail but I have not received yet.

Received:
11th corps
Flinter 1977
hunter thompson
J dirt - Rifle & pistol
JEDSRO
Maven
PIGGLOVER
RanchRoper

In transit - ?:
kh54 - Rapine 583-455 Minié - Disqualified
Fly103