• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

March 2017 Partner Shoot

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jethro224

Reaction score
I got an idea from the discussion on the Feb. contest topic. We're going to do a partner shoot where one partner shoots smoothbore and the other shoots rifle.

It's not a requirement, but try to get a member who doesn't usually enter the contests to be your partner. Maybe a little fun and friendly competition will get them to enter more contests in the future.

The target for both shooters/partners will be the standard 8.5" x 11" sheet of printer paper with an X drawn thru the center. Each partner will shoot his own target.

One partner will mail his/her target to his/her partner who will mail both targets in one envelope to me. Write either "Smoothbore" or "Rifle" on your target in addition to your screen name.

Your score and your partners score will be combined to determine the winner.

Smoothbore targets will be shot offhand at 25 yards.

Rifle targets will be shot at 50 yards and a one-point rest may be used. Shooting sticks, fence post, log, etc. No fancy bench lead-sled type contraptions. You may stand, sit, or kneel.
(Never mind what it says down below about offhand)

One target entry per member. 2 targets per team.

5 shots per target, hit or miss.

Mutilated targets and targets with more than 5 holes will be disqualified.

No do-overs.

Only registered forum members may participate.

Only traditional, open iron sighted muzzleloading firearms (NO Cannons). Percussion or flintlock, matchlock or wheel lock ignition.
For this contest sighted smoothbores are allowed.

Single patched round ball only. No restrictions on caliber. (a patchless ball may be used if so desired)

Shots will be taken off-hand at the stated distance.(Standing or seated is allowed, elbows unsupported by anything other than the shooters torso)(In the event that a member is not physically able to hold his rifle up unsupported, a "prop-rod" that is supported only by the shooters torso, no part of which prop-rod may touch the ground, may be used to hold up the fore-end of the rifle)

Only original targets will be accepted. No copies, faxes, scans, etc.

Shots will be measured from the center of the ball to the center of the target.

The center of the target will be determined by the judge.

Decisions of the judge are final.

Each team score will be posted at the end of the contest.

Your member screen name must be written on your targets.

Mail your target postmarked by April 2, 2017 to;

Jim Green
P.O.Box 322
Pekin, IL 61555

Targets will not be returned unless an S.A.S.E. is included.

Be safe and have fun! :hatsoff:

Wish I could help you out Ames (I have a smoothie), but I'll be in FL for another month and have no ML's or BP guns down here. Odd thing though, the indoor range I use allows just about any caliber long arm, including shotguns & machine guns, but NO BP guns at all. :confused:

No indoor ranges I know of will allow BP guns. Imagine the cloud of smoke indoors. :haha: I doubt their ventilation systems would be up to the task. Also, I bet all the modern shooters would complain that they couldn't see the targets and the smell was awful.

One story I heard about an indoor range that said BP was OK... I believe the guy was using a BP revolver... he fired exactly one shot before they changed their mind.
The way the story was told to me is that, apparently, every time a shot is fired a little bit of powder flys out without being ignited. After who knows how many thousands of shots there was a build-up of unburnt smokeless powder all over the floor. Sparks from the BP revolver did reach the floor. POOF! :shocked2: :haha:

Okay. All teamed up for this one. I got Britsmoothy starting things off across the pond, and I'll finish things off with my 50 cal Lancaster.
Threw me for a loop on this one but found another member eager to shoot smooth for us too if anyone else needs a smooth bore partner.

I'll throw my name in the hat to be a partner for anyone looking. Have been telling myself to get in these matches forever, so what better time than now.

Can shoot either rifle or smoothie. Anyone interested just let me know.

I just saw your post in the smoothbore section. Good job recruiting. :thumbsup:

You picked an excellent choice of partners.
Plus, Jess and Loyalist Dave say they're willing to join a team.
And we already have Hermit here needing a rifle partner.
Looks like we have the makings for a good shoot. :)

All you riflemen need to get hooked up with a partner before all the good ones are taken.

any Canadian smooth bore shooters? i only have rifles. we need to represent the great white north!

Flint62smoothie, I have a smoothie but don't shoot roundballs out of it so I would be happy to be your rifle partner. :thumbsup: Let me know.....

Dave

Britsmoothy said:
If I miss the target with the smooth bore can I throw my hawk at it ? :doh:

B.

If you miss it all 5 times with your smoothbore then, by all means, throw your hawk at it. You'll probably miss with that too. :haha:

I kinda doubt that you'll need to throw the hawk. :wink:

OK. So far we have one for-sure team;

Ames and Britsmoothy

one possible team;

58 caliber and Flint62Smoothie

These guys have offered to join in with their smootbores;

Hermit
Jess
Loyalist Dave
Silky921

And these guys have offered to join in with their rifles;
Silky921
eggwelder (who would like a Canadian partner if possible)

Send out some PTs to these guys if you need a partner! Form up your teams! The contest has officially begun and times a wastin'!

Latest posts

Back