• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

March 2017 Partner Shoot

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Flint62Smoothie said:
Jethro224 said:
Jethro, is an aiming spot allowed or are we to shoot at an unmarked sheet?

Aiming spots are allowed.
Wouldn't the aiming spot be the formed X? If you're saying someone could superimpose a 2" square block or round bullseye at the center of the X ... that should have been the rule from Day 1 ... just saying ...

As Maven said, I've always allowed aiming spots. And there is no rule as to how thick or thin the X has to be. A pencil line or 2" duct tape or even none at all is fine by me. I find the exact center of the target when I do the scoring and go from there.
Sometimes the X drawn on the target is not in the exact center. Doesn't matter because I measure from the center, every target every time.

These contests, being postal matches, would be easy to cheat. Nobody but the shooter would ever know. For instance, even if no aiming spots were allowed one could always hang another target, with an aiming spot, right over the one to be mailed in.

With the average age of our members, and the deteriorating eyesight that accompanies said average age, most members couldn't see a pencil line X at 25 yards.

These contests are just for fun and bragging rights. Nothing more. Therefore I find it best to allow aiming spots and trust in the honesty and integrity of the members.
I will add it to the rules in the future that aiming spots are allowed.

Jethro224 said:
Flint62Smoothie said:
Jethro224 said:

Wouldn't the aiming spot be the formed X? If you're saying someone could superimpose a 2" square block or round bullseye at the center of the X ... that should have been the rule from Day 1 ... just saying ...

As Maven said, I've always allowed aiming spots. And there is no rule as to how thick or thin the X has to be. A pencil line or 2" duct tape or even none at all is fine by me. I find the exact center of the target when I do the scoring and go from there.
Sometimes the X drawn on the target is not in the exact center. Doesn't matter because I measure from the center, every target every time.

These contests, being postal matches, would be easy to cheat. Nobody but the shooter would ever know. For instance, even if no aiming spots were allowed one could always hang another target, with an aiming spot, right over the one to be mailed in.

With the average age of our members, and the deteriorating eyesight that accompanies said average age, most members couldn't see a pencil line X at 25 yards.

These contests are just for fun and bragging rights. Nothing more. Therefore I find it best to allow aiming spots and trust in the honesty and integrity of the members.
I will add it to the rules in the future that aiming spots are allowed.

Can we move that aiming spot 25 yards closer than the 50 yards required shooting distance? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

"With the average age of our members, and the deteriorating eyesight that accompanies said average age, most members couldn't see a pencil line X at 25 yards".

Hey I represent that........are you saying I am old and deteriorating...... :rotf: Your right.

Dave

Can we move that aiming spot 25 yards closer than the 50 yards required shooting distance?

You can move the aiming spot wherever you want to.
BUT, the rifle target still has to be 50 yards out. :)

Flint62Smoothie said:
Jethro224 said:

I think if you go back to the other contests to bring you up to speed, all this HAS been discussed in the past. Jethro has been top notch on top of this stuff, IMHO. For the 5th of July I asked the same question.....after I shot..... and....it didn't matter. Check the scores. We don't really NEED those spots, do we? :stir:
BTW, Happy Birthday to my partner this month for this contest, Britsmoothy.
:v

Well, I got my target shot.

I shot it in strong, variable gusts, looking into the sun, in the cold, feeling poorly, with a mirage on my sights, hadn't eaten, old batch of powder, ran outta lube. Not to mention my floaters and astigmatism. :haha:

Looking for partner Jess to send his my way, then both to our Jethro.

Best regards, Skychief

I did some research on the internet about the allergic reaction my lead balls had with the center of the target and there is a plant blooming during the month of March that will have a chemical reaction with the patches and lead balls I was using. The Latin name of the plant is Missbyamile and you can identify it by its fragrance. It smells like burning sulfur.

going to have to back out, military sending me away to help train some new soldiers . i`ll be keeping a closer eye on this section, i thought that the competitions were for premium members until i actually read it..looking forward to joining in some in the spring and summer

MDK_WV said:
I did some research on the internet about the allergic reaction my lead balls had with the center of the target and there is a plant blooming during the month of March that will have a chemical reaction with the patches and lead balls I was using. The Latin name of the plant is Missbyamile and you can identify it by its fragrance. It smells like burning sulfur.

Yes, yes MDK. I seem to remember reading of this in a science or medicine journal. May I suggest wearing some sort of air filtering apparatus next time you shoot?

At the very least a handkerchief tied off and covering your mouth and nose?

Please, please be careful and take precautions!!! :shocked2:

Worried for your welfare, Skychief. :wink:

Jethro:I just sent Toomuch's and my targets out.I would like to give you an excuse for how I shot but I can't come up with anything better than what you already heard.
Domenick. PS:the sun was in my eyes and we had a total eclipse of the sun at the same time.

Latest posts

Back