• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Marbles Tank Peep Sight

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello
Has anyone installed a marbles tang peep sight? Building a Bedford co. style percussion 36 cal. squirrel gun. I know this is not a traditional sight used on this gun but due to the old age eye syndrome (OAES) peep sights are the only way to go. Was wondering with the drop of the tang will this work? Will there be enough adjustment on the sight post? Was looking at the one for the Win. 9422, looks like it has a short hole spacing so I could adjust location a little better. Also has any one with OAES ever used a full buck horn sight? Are they easy to see thru like a peep sight?
Thanks
Ed

I put the Marbles Bullseye peep on my GPR. Works even better with a little modification. Looked at one of their tang sights, but wasn't sure I could get it to work.
GPR with peep.jpg

20201125_162039.jpg

I installed one on a older 94 Winchester that I have. It's a good sight but I'm not crazy about how it positions on the 94, when it's folded down it's right in the middle of the wrist and feels odd. When its folded up it's fine. On a muzzleloader with the wrist further back it probably wouldn't be a issue folder or unfolded.

Hello
Has anyone installed a marbles tang peep sight? Building a Bedford co. style percussion 36 cal. squirrel gun. I know this is not a traditional sight used on this gun but due to the old age eye syndrome (OAES) peep sights are the only way to go. Was wondering with the drop of the tang will this work? Will there be enough adjustment on the sight post? Was looking at the one for the Win. 9422, looks like it has a short hole spacing so I could adjust location a little better. Also has any one with OAES ever used a full buck horn sight? Are they easy to see thru like a peep sight?
Thanks
Ed
I'm not sure if it will work, or not, but looking on the marbles site they have an 'improved' version with replaceable posts to get any elevation range you need. It seems, to me anyway, that the critical number to it working is the angle of the mounting site.

http://www.marblearms.com/universal-rear-sights.html

Ed......My eyes are old as well. I'm beyond using any type "on top of the barrel" rear sight. One tang sight to keep an eye open for is one made by Hopkins and Allen back in the 1970's for use on their under hammer rifles of the day. Back then you could order them from H&A. They threaded directly into barrel tang and the vertical adjustment was by screwing the stem up or down. The right/left was accomplished using the eye piece tube as a clamp into a small block of metal attached to the top of the vertical stem. Genius in it's simplicity. Wish I could get several for future projects. Tang peep sights can be made w/o huge effort. Made one for my current flint deer rifle from some brass scrap on my work bench. Bedford Co. Pa. , rifles. One of the first of the Bedford Co. builders was Jacob Mills. He made flintlocks and I single him out because he used a non-traditional Bedford patch box finial , the head of an eagle. I like them because they are so in variance w/the remainder of the later percussion rifles. Luck to ya..............oldwood

Hello
Thanks for your replies. I have a bullseye on 1 of my builds but it is a little hard to see. Also have a TC hunting peep on my full stock hawkens I built. Its a nice sight but would not look good to me on a bedford co. rifle. I was thinking about the angle also on a tang peep.
Thanks Again

Hello:
just put electrical tape over marbles bullseye sight blocking the outer ring and cut out the peep works fine for old eyes. Just got to fill in with something permanent?
Thanks again
Ed

For a peep sight to work properly it must be close to the eye. Putting it in the regular open sight dovetail slot will give no advantage whatsoever over the original sight.

The shooter does not center or align a tang mounted peep sight, he just looks through it. That is the point of it. For target shooting a small hole will bring the target and front sight into focus at the same time. These are both huge advantages to accurate shooting.

Try mocking up a rear sight out of bent sheet metal. Secure it with the tang screw. When you get something you like make pretty version.

For a peep sight to work properly it must be close to the eye. Putting it in the regular open sight dovetail slot will give no advantage whatsoever over the original sight.

The shooter does not center or align a tang mounted peep sight, he just looks through it. That is the point of it. For target shooting a small hole will bring the target and front sight into focus at the same time. These are both huge advantages to accurate shooting.

Try mocking up a rear sight out of bent sheet metal. Secure it with the tang screw. When you get something you like make pretty version.
Having replaced the open dovetail sight on my GPR with a Marbles Bullseye peep, I can say for a fact that there is ABSOLUTELY an advantage to replacing a regular open dovetail sight with a peep.

I have my peep sights on the guns I build lining with my breech plug end thread. This seems to work for me. Yes with older eyes peep sights are the only way to go.
Thanks
Ed

Well let me go take a couple pics. These are simple peeps I make. No horizontal adjustment.I just tap the front sight left or right. I've not had one that needed more than 1/16 in. To get adjusted and I think they look more authentic . I do paint the front blade which made a huge difference. They mouth with the tang to trigger plate screw.I do have to use a thin leather spacer for elevation adjust. Or file base of sight or work with front sight file or replace. It's really not hard.

Attachments

• IMG_20231005_220338.jpg
    IMG_20231005_220338.jpg
    988.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20231005_220344.jpg
    IMG_20231005_220344.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20231005_220354.jpg
    IMG_20231005_220354.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20231005_220410.jpg
    IMG_20231005_220410.jpg