• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Marbles Improved Tang Sight

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone ever installed a Marbles Improved tang sight on a TC Hawken? Would you know what model number to choose? I have a Lyman micrometer peep, but would prefer the look of a folding peep. I'd also like the option of using the barrel sights.

SciAggie, Which one to choose, that is a very good question! I emailed Marble's a couple of years ago with that very question - the response was that they do not make a tang peep for that model rifle and advised me to use their fluorescent sight set mounted on the barrel. I found a T/C peep on Evil Bay and that now sits on my Renegade. The link below shows an interesting folding tang peep made by one of our members, it may be perfect for what you are wanting to do.

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/folding-peep-sight.145105/#post-2065324

@centershot Thanks for the reply. I’ve about decided to just make a “best guess” and get a sight to try. I can pay my money and draw my bronc, right?
Here’s what I have in mind:
I’m mounting a 45 caliber 1:18” twist barrel to a TC Hawken. I intend for this to be a hunting rifle primarily - with the ability to shoot to 200 meters. This is not necessarily a “hunting” distance - but rather (what I think) a reasonable distance that hopefully I can shoot nice groups. I’d love to show my in-laws and hunting buddies what a ML can do.
So for sights I’m planning to put on a MVA Combination front sight
MVA Combination Front Sight - Montana Vintage Arms

I’m still pondering what rear barrel sight to use. I want to be able to sight in for a 100 yard zero with barrel sights. I’m honestly considering a TC Primitive rear sight.

The folding rang would be zeroed for 150 yards. I wan to be able to shoot with the barrel sights without plowing a hole in my face with the tang sight - hence my quest for a Marbles tang as opposed to a vernier sight or Lyman 57 SML.

I know it’s unconventional but I think it would make a dandy hunting rifle that would emulate 45-70 to 45-90 performance in a ML. I have an adjustable PP mold that fits the barrel well.

I have no interest in shooting to 300, 500, 1,000 yards with a ML. I’ve done that with BPCR and still have a beautiful Ballard with a long range sight if I feel the need to do it again.

I’ve often thought this is where Ned Roberts would have ended up in a hunting rifle if he hadn’t made the switch from ML to breech loaders.

A follow up on the rear barrel sight. I bought a TC Hawken with a very crude (but serviceable) vernier tang. My plan is to mount the combination front sight and work on a load/ zero the rifle at 100 yards with the front/tang combination. Then - goofy as it sounds - I can pull a fine sewing thread between the rear aperture and the top of the front sight. That will let me know the height above the barrel that the rear barrel sight must be.
I may be crazy. It may not work. I’ll know in time.

Back