• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

maple tree seeds

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never have tried those maple seeds. The acorns that I have, have tasted awful. Ive heard that the NDNs out in Cal used to grind those acorns into some sort of flour. I wounder if its even doable to turn those maple seeds into a makeshift flour?

Gooba Jones
White oak acorns are the only ones I've found remotely edible. Toasted then pounded into flour.

Never seen a maple tree along the red river, i wonder if the same thing can be done with mesquite beans???? 😁
Mesquite beans were/are one of the staple foods for the Southwestern Indians.
I can't say they taste very good but I understand they are quite nourishing.

They need to be ground up before cooking them.

Mesquite beans were/are one of the staple foods for the Southwestern Indians.
I use mesquite pod flour frequently when baking. A little added to the regular recipe of cornbread is quite nice, I enjoy the taste. I've also made delicious pancakes with a little of it added, More than about 20% added to the dough/batter interferes with the rise.

Spence

But the thought of that brought up another old thought.
As a youngster my dad would gather prickly pears, peel them with his knife, then eat the meat.
Dad said getting the tiny stickers out of your fingers gave you something to do later to pass the time.
I've been wanting to make some wine from the pears, maybe this year.

I'm starting to look at my yards with a new eye. Have more types of trees than I can name (my bad), tubers, roots, wild strawberries, dandelions, and other food sources. Pretty amazing actually. My place won't feature in Better Homes & Gardens, but I don't spray everything with poisons, either. Have to go. Time to BBQ a steak.

Latest posts

Back