maple tree seeds

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

bore_butter

36 Cal.
Reaction score
we have lots of the worthless water maple trees around the area and every spring there is a deluge of the whirly birds inundating the yards. i checked online and it said they can be eaten if boiled or roasted. i was wondering if anyone here had tried the seeds. i have enough to feed a subdivision in the front yard alone.

Loyalist Dave

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I've read you can boil them for 15 minutes or roast them at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes. Or you can eat them raw. (Take the seed out of the "wing" in all cases)

LD

Spence10

Cannon
Reaction score
I've never tried them, but the old boys liked to pickle those of the ash tree. I have several recipes back to 1699. I'm sure maple could be done the same. Heres one:

To Pickle Ashen Keys
Take them when they are very tender, and Parboil them in a little fair Water, then take half a Pint of White wine, and a quarter of a Pint of Vinegar, the Juice of å Limon, and a little Bay sàlt, and when it is boil’d and cold put your Ashen-Keys into your Pickle; keep them from the Air.

Spence

bore_butter

36 Cal.
Reaction score
it would take quite a while to get a jar full of the seeds but that looks like it's worth a try. a friend said to roast them in a iron skillet at about 350deg for 10 minutes.

BullRunBear

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Glad this topic came up. I have to learn more. Eating the darn things would be sweet revenge after all the years of plucking them out of the garden and cleaning them out of the gutters. :)

Jeff

toot

32 Cal.
Reaction score
now that is getting back to nature!! EUELL GIBONS eat your hart out!! they taste like WILD HICKORY NUTS TO ME!!

bore_butter

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I wish I had started this earlier. they all came off the trees last week and it's been raining on them for most of the time. I skinned one while ago and they are already turning brown and looking like they are trying to make a tree. i'll get right on it next season, i'm more than sure the trees will comply.

bore_butter

36 Cal.
Reaction score
got out on the porch while ago and found a dozen of the unmolested seeds under the glider. stripped them and roasted them in the broiler for 12 minutes at 500deg. they stayed green. did a mouth rinse to get a fair determination of what taste results I could find.
to me they tasted half way like pistachios and had a after taste of something like polk greens. that was an hour ago and I'm still alive!

Reaction score
Bored are you, or just lookin fer somethin to do during the lock down. Sure would take a bunch of them to make a meal.

bore_butter

36 Cal.
Reaction score
not bored at all. putting cam, lifters and top end gaskets in my old Harley. just waiting till the it's ok to go shooting
I guess if you were into the all natural you could sprinkle the seeds on a dandelion salad.

theoldredneck

40 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
After several years of dealing with the seeds and hating them covering yard, porch etc, a friend had brilliant suggestion. Couple hours with a chainsaw and the seeds have never returned. He said wood from tree warmed him as long as it lasted following winter. The chainsaw has been a wonderful cure for sweetgums also.:)

bore_butter

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I have no maple trees in the yard but the entire subdivision has at least 2 of the trees from hell. slightest wind and they all wind up in my yard.

tenngun

Cannon
Reaction score
Few maples in my part of the woods, I didn’t know the seeds were edible. Only time I’ve seen them was when I bought a kit for the ‘experienced gun builder, when I got it in it was a bag of maple seeds and twenty pounds of iron stock.

Gooba Jones

Beyond the Great Divide 5/23/20
Reaction score
Never have tried those maple seeds. The acorns that I have, have tasted awful. Ive heard that the NDNs out in Cal used to grind those acorns into some sort of flour. I wounder if its even doable to turn those maple seeds into a makeshift flour?

Gooba Jones

Jay Templin

36 Cl.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Most acorns have a tremendous amount of tannin in them pounding them and soaking them in several changes of water helps. White oak tends to be less bitter than red. Same procedure might make maple seeds better.
Jay

Latest posts