• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Map of Savannah's Defenses in 1864 - Abbreviation "HO. Chy" ???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newhotrodder

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello from Atlanta at the site of Ponder's House,

I was looking at a map of Savannah published in 1895 and I can't think of what a particular abbreviation on the map means.

The abbreviation is HO. Chy

It is seen on a waterway, so it must mean ferry or beach or crossing or something like that.

Here is the map link: Map

Author: Poe, Orlando M.
Author: United States. War Department
Date: 1895
Short Title: Savannah, Ga. and vicinity.
Publisher: U.S. Government Printing Office

The map shows Screven's HO. Chy and other instances near Ft. Tattnall and Ft. Lee near Savannah.

Other places it lists: Old Ho. Chy and Chy of Ho just north of Savannah.

Can anyone help satisfy my burning curiosity?

Generally, on a chart HO stands for "house". So, there is a house at that particular point that could be used as a navigation point.
CHY is probably a church yard. Also used for a navigation point along a river or other waterway.

Thank you! I would not have been able to guess that.

Attachments

• Screvens HO. Chy.JPG
    Screvens HO. Chy.JPG
    159.7 KB · Views: 0
Back in the 1960's I was one of four navigators (quartermasters) on a navy destroyer. My battle station, and during any hazardous maneuvers such as entering or leaving a port was on the helm, steering the ship.
At sea, of course, we used a compass heading, but river navigation was different. I fondly remember steering as we proceeded up the Chao Phraya River, heading up to Bangkok in Thailand. Lt. Freeman had the conn. At one point he turned to me and asked; "What's your heading?"
I replied; "That big tree dead ahead, sir."
He looked perplexed for only a moment, then nodded his head; "Very well. Steady as she goes." Then he turned back to face up the river. He was a very good officer.

Back