• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

MAP for barrel cleaning

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nebhunt

32 Cal
Reaction score
When you guys mix up your MAP cleaner do you mix it as needed or have it already mixed ready and sitting on the shelf ready

Equal parts of Murphy's Oil Soap, Rubbing Alcohol, and Hydrogen Peroxide.
sounds like something Michael Jackson would use!
will give it a try, if i can sneak the Murphy's and the Peroxide past the warden.
the etoh i have stashed in the BP section of my mess, i mean my hobby room.

Used it for decades. I mix the alcohol and murphy's soap in a gallon jug 50/50. Mix the 1/3 amount of peroxide morning of shoot. Use all weekend then dump when cleaned at end of shoot.

When cleaned and done at end of shoot the gun is ready for the next week, month or year. Neve had to clean second day or whenever.

Don't want to use it don't but don't spread feelings as truths.

Hmmmmmm.... peroxide! An oxidizer.
But one should only use the weak 3% version of hydrogen peroxide. Even with that very weak solution, it will foam up like a rabid dog so one thinks that things are really getting clean (and they are). If you are concerned about the peroxide as an oxidizer, just use water. That will work to clean as well. The concern about the use of hydrogen peroxide has been a topic of discussion for as long as I have heard about MAP. Use an oil based patch lube or add some Ballistol or other water soluble oil and there should be ample protection from the H2O2. So many solutions work for cleaning that I am using water with dish soap and a good final rust inhibiting (Barricade) oil. I use rubbing (70%) alcohol for the damp patch between shots.

To each their own. I played with the 3% peroxide formulas back in the 70's and didn’t think it was doing anything special and, it is an oxidizer. My guns come clean with water so there is no problem to solve.

I get the Murphy's soap, I kind of get the rubbing alcohol, but would someone please explain how the hydrogen peroxide helps to clean BP fouling? I feel like I would never use this mix. Soap and water or straight Windex works great. Not sure why anyone would go through the trouble mixing this stuff when there are easier options. The most I do is pour a few ounces of Murphy's in a jug of blue windshield washer fluid and shake it up. Never needed a solvent to clean BP.

This month's issue of Muzzle Blasts has an article by the Bevel Brothers investigating MAP and weather or not it is indeed harmful relating to the peroxide. Seems to be one of those items, like lubes, that have adherents on both sides.

I just use whatever is closest when I clean. If it’s wet it works. Windex, water, or awesome brand cleaner. My go to is winter blend windshield washer fluid. Easy cheap and works. I used to make MAP but didn’t find it cleans better than anything else. During matches I use the windshield washer fluid in a small spray bottle as patch lube. It’s works just like spit and doesn’t gag me sucking on patches.

Back