• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Many misfires first time shooting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike Beliveu(?) Duelist1954 has a lot of information on Flints and Flintlocks on his youtube channel, I'm not sure if this link shows up correctly but the video is called "Putting the Flint in Flintlock"
Another great channel is Black Powder TV and his new shooter series for flintlocks, lots of info on orienting, sharpening loading etc from these 2 guys...

Great. I will check them out. I watch Mike’s channel, although haven’t seen this one yet, Great guy. Ty

I have a pedersoli frontier. 45 the hammer and frizzen are not aligned on mine i have to set the flint about an 1/8" outside the jaws. It drives me nuts! I had same issue as you i was taught real quick how to nap my flint pretty simple and i have learned to tap the side of my barrel to make sure powder makes it to the flash hole As per filling the pan from what have been taught a little is more on powder amount i also turn rifle and tap lock to get powder up to the vent hole im learning as well thought id share my experience in hopes itll help! So far its helped me

I also have a Pedersoli Frontier with a misaligned frizzen...must be common with these guns

One of my flinters, did the same thing. Went to the next size narrower and sparks great now 99.99999 % of the time.

Yes, sharp flint of correct size is necessary.

I have 3 L&R flintlocks in service. Great locks.

If the pan prime flashed but the gun didn’t fire, the touch hole is probably too small. I open my touch holes to 1/16” to start with.

good luck

In addition to what has already been suggested:

How much priming powder are you placing in the pan? Most new shooters use way too much. Switch to 4F for your priming powder.

Is the touchhole clear of any debris or burnt powder?

Is the barrel and breech free of oil? When you load the rifle with the main charge, give the barrel a rap with the palm of your hand at the breech area to settle the charge.
you don't have to have 4f for priming and in hunting situations when it is raining or just very humid, may be the cause of misfires.
That being said, most shooters (not just new ones) use to much powder in the pan. Myself included. The only thing using more powder than is needed accomplishes is burning of the flint. The temperature makes the flint brittle and you'll cut the life of the flint in half with each pan fired. So, if you are only getting 10 or 20 shots from a flint... try less powder in the pan with the next flint change. And yes, I carry one horn for both carge and powder. If I have a second horn, it's for the shot.

I've found it interesting that I seem to be able to detect a delay when firing my flint lock rifles and smooth bores. However, when I let someone else shoot my flint lock, I don't see or hear any delay. Slow motion photography shows a bit of a delay, but I can see some delay even with a percussion lock gun on slow motion although it seems faster than my flint lock.

So I shot at least 15 rounds today, after changing the flint like many suggested. Not one misfire!!! I also used a lot less prime in the pan. Now I have to order more flints and get used to this delay in ignition! I thank you all for the tips

Glad it’s working for you now. The slight delay was a problem for me at first. Just keep shooting and concentrate on holding the rifle on target after the shot.

Have fun.

I've found it interesting that I seem to be able to detect a delay when firing my flint lock rifles and smooth bores. However, when I let someone else shoot my flint lock, I don't see or hear any delay. Slow motion photography shows a bit of a delay, but I can see some delay even with a percussion lock gun on slow motion although it seems faster than my flint lock.
Good point. I’ll have someone video the firing and see. I bet what I’m sensing is the norm. 45 years of instantaneous ignition, shhhhh, is hard to overcome

So the more we shoot the more life will slow down!!!!
Definitely worth a try. I don't notice a delay and I shoot a lot of modern trap guns and handguns as well. But then, shooting in general seems to put me in a different slower life.. I guess it is the zen like meditation skills we gain to shoot well. Concentrating while not concentrating so to speak.

Glad everything is working for you.. remember if you have a flint that fits your lock but is to wide, don't be afraid to slide it out away from the barrel and use it anyway. Just be careful not to cut your hand on it. The size and length of a rock is important from the lock screw to the face of the frizzen. It really doesn't mater side to side.

Dry firing a flintlock, best achieved with a wood flint to preserve both frizzen and flint, is one way to improve shooting skills.

Trip the trigger and make sure the sights do not move when the hammer falls, that they remain exactly the same throughout the sequence.

This way you can slow down time when you are at home as well ;)

If your flint is too wide it can mark the barrel or the outside of the pan , but it can also affect the reliability of the flint , when a corner gets chipped off because the flint was too wide, fractures can spread into the flint edge and the flint may start to wear faster than usual or shatter all together '
If your flint is too long you can turn your flint leather to run side to side, round end out , it will still grip the flint but also let the flint sit back as far as it can in the jaws .

Latest posts

Back