• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Many misfires first time shooting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all. Had the chance to shoot my flintlock for the first time today. I believe I shot 8-10 rounds and must have had 5-6 misfires. Was shooting goex 3f as main charge and schuetzen 3f in pan. Attached are some pics of the lock, flint and frizzen. Does anything look out of alignment or off? Not sure what steps to take next. All pics are at half cock

Attachments

• FC7DE4DA-57B4-4B04-9EC3-484AB0370329.jpeg
    FC7DE4DA-57B4-4B04-9EC3-484AB0370329.jpeg
    73.8 KB · Views: 242
  • A61DFDD1-1ED2-4FC8-BBA1-6BBB4E0DD8DF.jpeg
    A61DFDD1-1ED2-4FC8-BBA1-6BBB4E0DD8DF.jpeg
    81.4 KB · Views: 241
  • 75E03E2D-C1D8-4188-81C3-0FEF2AED8FAF.jpeg
    75E03E2D-C1D8-4188-81C3-0FEF2AED8FAF.jpeg
    64.4 KB · Views: 241
  • C1D426EB-E3E3-42D0-89E6-9F09026C65C1.jpeg
    C1D426EB-E3E3-42D0-89E6-9F09026C65C1.jpeg
    115.7 KB · Views: 223
The flints I use are flatter with a sharp edge. Try turning that flint over however I would try a different one. Also, that flint should go to the back of the cock. Looks like the wrong size flint to me. What lock is that?

I found that if I run a brush or pick to fit flash-hole after every shot and clean pan, frizzen, and flint with a small rag or cleaning patch soaked with alcohol to clean crud from said components that it seems to keep things work better

Also in your third picture is your flint striking your barrel? I would go to a less wide flint or move the flint out a little. Throw that flint out, it's shot.
No it’s not striking the barrel but I thought it was off to the left of center on the frizzen. Should it be centered?

Ok. So it’s in upside down?

The flint isn't in upside down. Bevel up or down depends on the geometry and the flint. The flint should strike the frizzen about 1/4-1/3 of the way down with a slicing motion. (Not a 90deg. hit) and end up pointing at the middle of the pan. The strike lines show that yours is hitting at the top of the frizzen. On the next flint try moving the flint back for a little more gap and lower strike.

Last edited:
The flint isn't in upside down. Bevel up or down depends on the geometry and the flint. The flint should strike the frizzen about 1/4-1/3 of the way down with a slicing motion. (Not a 90deg. hit) and end up pointing at the middle of the pan. Yours is hitting at the top of the frizzen.
Ok, so by adjusting the edge of the flint downward it will strike lower on the frizzen. I see

You want a flint that is as wide as the frizzen and when the lock is at half cock, to be 1/8" shorter than the distance from the fact screw to the face of the frizzen.

Your flint looks really dull to me. I have good results with my L&R locks with the bevel up. The right way to install the flint, is the way that produces the most sparks that go in the pan.

Do a search for knapping a flint.

Back