• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Manufacturing flints.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Having discovered that I'm very poor at knapping flints, I buy them, or try to pick up small pieces of chert which I can find sometimes. I have experimented with the cut flints, some did work better than others, so I wondered has anybody tried cutting their own flints with a rock saw? The idea kind of intrigued me, a small rock saw would cost between 60 and $80. I realize that's not period, but a lot of us I'm sure on this site do not necessarily wear buckskin and camp out with a wool blanket. I could see the advantage to redressing a failing Flint, if one had a rock saw.
The question arose on payback, and I've concluded that my quest for payback on my hand loading, muzzleloader shooting, and hunting in general has never operated in the cheap. I'm just thankful that it's been fun and I can generally eat when I hunt.
Squint

I have often had the same thought. I have used German sawed gunflints for many years with great success. But, these days they are heart-stopping expensive. You might search out a rock club. These folks like to cut and make jewelry. You could get a better idea of the practicality of what you are considering. Let us know.

Back