• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Manton percussion lock in a halfstock?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I picked up an LR Manton percussion lock and I am thinking of putting it in a half stock 54 cal. I have read where they were used in double shotguns and rifles in the early to mid 1800’s. I have come up short of finding any examples of rifles with this lock. I’m not looking to make a exact replica of anything, but hope to make something that could have been correct for a time period.
my question: Does anyone have a picture of a rifle using a Manton lock? Am I better off holding out for a full stock version?

I don't have any pictures of examples to post, but believe you have a number of options with that lock.

It is a smaller lock and works well on a pistol or a rifle with a smaller diameter barrel down to 7/8". A rifle with a breech bigger than 1" would look best with a bigger lock.

The style of lock with the semi-water proof pan and little point on the tail, as a flintlock, was popular in England around 1800, but was imported into American as late as the 1820's. It would look good on a slim Southern Mountain Rifle with a small diameter barrel. Some of these that were originally built as full stock flintlock rifles were later converted to percussion and cut back to half stock. The same could be said of just about any Pennsylvania school squirrel rifle.

Since your lock is already a percussion, you could file the tail of the lock plate round and let it represent a later lock and rifle. It would work well on an Ohio half stock rifle in a style typical of the mid-19th century. With a rounded tail, it would also work on a half stock squirrel rifle from Western Pennsylvania or even a Leman half stock squirrel rifle.

If you're set on a .54 cal rifle, consider a 15/16" diameter barrel.

I don't have any pictures of examples to post, but believe you have a number of options with that lock.

It is a smaller lock and works well on a pistol or a rifle with a smaller diameter barrel down to 7/8". A rifle with a breech bigger than 1" would look best with a bigger lock.

The style of lock with the semi-water proof pan and little point on the tail, as a flintlock, was popular in England around 1800, but was imported into American as late as the 1820's. It would look good on a slim Southern Mountain Rifle with a small diameter barrel. Some of these that were originally built as full stock flintlock rifles were later converted to percussion and cut back to half stock. The same could be said of just about any Pennsylvania school squirrel rifle.

Since your lock is already a percussion, you could file the tail of the lock plate round and let it represent a later lock and rifle. It would work well on an Ohio half stock rifle in a style typical of the mid-19th century. With a rounded tail, it would also work on a half stock squirrel rifle from Western Pennsylvania or even a Leman half stock squirrel rifle.

If you're set on a .54 cal rifle, consider a 15/16" diameter barrel.
Phil, thank you for that reply. You have given me a lot of information there👍🏻. I do already have 2 barrels that are 15/16ths in 54 cal to put in half stocks. I also have plans to re stock a CVA flintlock Kentucky 45 cal using a Manton flintlock in the near future. I’ve been bitten by the building bug!

Cherrybow,

I came across this rifle on the internet that has a Bill Large barrel and an L&R Manton lock. I'm not sure if the stock and mounts are contemporary or antique.

L&R Manton lock on longrifle

The Manton lock appears to have a replacement cock. At least it's not what comes with the lock. The lock has some chicken stratch engraving and has been aged, but it's clearly an L&R lock.

Back